15 Minute Asian Cold Remedy Soup – garlic, ginger, and lots of cilantro will comfort your soul and your sinuses when a quick, delicious soup is just what the doctor ordered!
Ok, not like I really went anywhere, but I came down with my first knock-me-out cold of the year, and blogging was a little low on my priority list. However, this illness brought my now favorite go-to soup that’s guaranteed to make anyone feel better!
I have a thing about soup – a love-hate thing. I’ve got to be in the mood, and I mean really in the mood, and I just can’t eat too much of it. So you know I’m sick when I’m not only craving it, but also thinking of a way to make a delicious, simple, and comforting soup. Oh, and of course one that’s quick and easy. Ain’t no body got time to be slaving in the kitchen over a soup when they’re sick.
I was also seriously craving Asian flavors – which for me brings to mind onions, garlic (which should be in anything and everything though, amiright?), loads of ginger, soy sauce, and fresh cilantro. What would comfort be without noodles, too?! So of course they’re in there.
Speaking of – you can use whatever kind of noodles you want in this soup! I used whole wheat fettuccine noodles because it’s what I had on hand. Soba noodles, spirals, or rice noodles would also be scrumptious. In my opinion, all that matters is that there are some carbs.
While I’m obsessed with the Asian flavors in this soup, I’m even more obsessed with how EASY it is. You really only need 15 minutes (if that!) to whip it up, which means that in 15 minutes you’re going to be slurping down hot, flavorful broth that warms your soul and gets to work on strengthening your immune system (not a doctor, but onions, garlic, and ginger are super good for that, aren’t they?!).
If you really wanted to do an Asian take on the old standby of Chicken Noodle Soup, feel free to add chicken or any additional protein of choice! This soup is so adaptable that whatever else brings you comfort, add it in!
What’s your go-to food when you’re sick? I’m sure this won’t be my last time with something this school year…
15 Minute Asian Cold Remedy Soup Video:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or a puree)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2½ Tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 ounces dried fettuccine noodles*
- 1 cup frozen peas*
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped for topping
- Scallions (optional for topping)
- Sesame seeds (optional for topping)
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in vegetable broth while scraping the bottom of the pan. Add soy sauce and white pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook according to package instructions (7-8 minutes typically). For the last two minutes of cooking time, add frozen peas.
- Serve with cilantro. Top with scallions or sesame seeds as desired.
Check it out – make your own Homemade Vegetable Broth!