Bourbon Barbecue Sauce – a thick, smoky, semi-sweet and tangy barbecue sauce featuring your favorite Bourbon; it’s just what your grilling menu needs this summer!
If you’ve been following along on Instagram or Snapchat >> yes! FITK FINALLY has its own Snapchat << (better late than never, right?) then you may know that I’m in the middle of a whirlwind weekend. I flew into Minneapolis late Friday night, and Saturday morning my mom, brother, and I road tripped it down to Iowa for my cousin’s graduation.
And you know this road trip was packed with the best 90s hits…TLC, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, all of those timeless one-hit-wonders that you can belt out in the car and feel like a superstar singing. Hope y’all are with me in that, otherwise this could be awkward admitting my 90s-singing-in-the-car-obsession.
Back to the reason we’re all really here though: Bourbon Barbecue Sauce. I’ll be sharing the full chicken wing recipe with you soon, but I wanted to drop off this little gem while I had the chance, just in case you’re having a little barbecue magic this weekend.
I have so many bourbon lovers in my life, and while I can’t say I enjoy drinking bourbon, I sure don’t mind cooking with it. Bourbon Barbecue Sauce is seriously going to step up your grill game for SO MANY reasons:
- It’s sticky in the best way possible. You know, finger lickin’ good.
- It’s smoky, and full flavor from the bourbon.
- It’s sweet – little bit of honey + little bit of brown sugar, mean a lot of deep, sweet flavor.
- It’s a little spicy – because why wouldn’t you want a little kick in your bite?
And it smells so rich and delicious as it simmers on the stove, begging to smother whatever you’ve got grilling.
Add this to your regular barbecue routine, or hold on patiently for my chicken wing recipe to come out. It’s up to you; either way I promise it will be worth it.Print
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce – a thick, smoky, semi-sweet and spicy barbecue sauce featuring your favorite Bourbon; it’s just what your grilling menu needs this summer!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: ~1 cup
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic power
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients in a wide saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Whisk occasionally and continue to simmer for 30 minutes (longer if desired for thickness); sauce will thicken, and continue to thicken once it cools.
If you want it to thicken more, be sure to use a shallow pan so the liquid is spread out and can evaporate faster.