Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole – this favorite side dish is even heartier with the addition of wild rice. An excellent main dish or side on cold winter nights!
Let’s get straight to the comfort today, ok? How are you? Are you frozen into an icicle or are you one of the lucky ones who lives where it’s just not that cold? When I woke up yesterday, the “feels like” temperature was -28°F. Yes, you read that right, NEGATIVE twenty-eight degrees Fahrenheit.
Oh, my bones haven’t felt a chill like this in a long time. It’s cold inside my house – layers upon layers upon layers. Silver lining: I love being cozy.
Second silver lining (because it’s so cold one won’t do): I love comfort food that warms your soul when going outside is not an option. At all.
Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole fits that bill. Green Bean Casserole was one of my absolute favorites when I was little. My family never put the fried onions on top (well, or if they did I guess I just always picked them off and don’t remember); the creaminess surrounding thinly sliced green beans was my jam over the holidays.
Then there was that phase of not wanting mystery cream of mushroom (or whatever) and my step-dad is allergic to mushrooms so there was a period in my life where green bean casserole just wasn’t considered anymore. Until this summer, when I mastered Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Hello real-food, hello all my now vegetarian friendly favorites without mystery ingredients – like this Tater Tot Hot Dish.
And now Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole – of course since Minnesota and I are recently reunited, I’m all about wild rice, too. Absence only makes the heart grow fonder, amiright? Inspired a little bit by this Herbed Wild Rice with Mushrooms recipe, I knew these two together would be a match made in casserole heaven.
And a match made in heaven it is! Fresh green beans (you could use frozen if you needed to) mixed in with creamy wild rice – it can be served as a meal (which I often do) or as a side. Either way you put it – it’s cozy, yummy, and soul-warming.Print
Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole
Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole – this favorite side dish turned even heartier with the addition of wild rice. An excellent main dish or side on cold winter nights!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, halved and chopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups green beans, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup wild rice (or wild rice blend)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add onion slices and celery; cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent and soft. Add garlic, thyme, white pepper, and salt (additional pepper if desired).
- Stir in green beans and wild rice. Transfer to 9×13 baking dish. Stir in vegetable broth and cream of mushroom soup until well combined.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Optional: garnish with parsley.
*If using Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup that’s been previously frozen, place in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and stir frequently until warm.
*Depending on the exact size of the pan you use, it may take longer or shorter for all liquid to be absorbed.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see! Snap a pic and #FORKINTHEKITCHEN and/or tag us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter!