Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Almond Icing – moist muffins with light lemon flavor, bursting with poppy seeds, and drizzled with a sweet almond icing!
Breakfast and brunch lovers unite! You can have a healthy, flavorful muffins for days (if they last that long) with this aaaa-mazing Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin recipe.
I’ve had a crush on the lemon poppy seed type for a while now. It all started back when I worked at a coffee shop that served a loaf, with thick icing on top. It was peeeerrrrfffect with a piping hot latte, and even better was that, despite my viewing of the nutrition label as I put it on the shelf, my young self didn’t care about how unhealthy it was.
If only that was still true. Now, now I gotta think about these things. Which is precisely why greek yogurt gives these muffins their moistness without all the oil, calories, or fat. And of course there has to be icing still, because we do need to live a balanced life.
All you need is a little drizzle though (or a lot, judgement free zone right here) to give you a little extra sweetness, and the almond flavor brings a little elegance to the party.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins w/ Almond Icing
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Almond Icing – moist muffins with light lemon flavor, bursting with poppy seeds, and drizzled with a sweet almond icing! They will brighten up your breakfast!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: Breakfast
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced (~2 T zest, 1/3 c. juice)
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a 12 regular sized muffin pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well between each addition. Mix in vanilla and almond extracts, lemon zest, lemon juice, and greek yogurt.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients just until mixed. Stir in poppy seeds until combined.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3rds full. Bake for 15-17 minutes; muffin will bounce back when lightly touched.
- Let muffins cool slightly.
- To make icing, stir together powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk. If icing is too thin, add more sugar; if it is too thick, add more milk. Drizzle over muffins.