Seared Scallops pair perfectly with creamy coconut rice and a sweet pineapple salsa for the perfect summer dinner!
I’ve been dying to share this with you since I posted the Pineapple Salsa recipe! When I said I was excited for fresh summer recipes, I meant it. Seared scallops and pineapple salsa are one of my favorite pairings – and it’s incredibly easy to make!
When I saw fresh scallops at the store (two thumbs up for living on the coast!) I knew I had to take one of my favorite dish “concepts” to the next level. And then share it with y’all, of course.
Take the scallops and pineapple salsa and put some coconut jasmine rice as the base and guess where you’ll be transported? To flavor town my friends. The rice is creamy with a hint of coconut, which ties in with the sweetness of the pineapple salsa and scallops. The salsa also brings that crunch of the onion and jalapeno with the added hint of spicy; cilantro takes freshness to the next level. It all just works SO. WELL. together.
Pan searing the scallops means they get this beautiful crust on them, upping the flavor and texture of the dish. They’re so rich and round out all the yummy flavors perfectly. Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never seared scallops before, either; it’s so easy, you just need to trust your instincts and not over do them. It will be your last step in creating this masterpiece of a meal because it goes so quickly, too. Make sure the rice is resting and the salsa mixed, then all you’ll need to do once the scallops are nicely seared is assemble and serve!
If you can’t find scallops, give shrimp a try! You can pan sear them, too, or throw them on the grill ’cause it’s summmmaaaa! Have I told you lately how much I LOVE summer?
What’s your favorite fresh summer recipe!?Print
- 3/4 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 can (14 ounces) Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1½ cups pineapple, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced (optional: not pictured in post)
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound (approximately 16) Sea Scallops, rinsed and pat dry
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: Cilantro for topping or to mix in rice
- COCONUT RICE:
- Combine Jasmine Rice, coconut milk, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; stir once.
- Cover with a lid (or foil); reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand (covered) for 5-10 minutes.
- PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- Combine diced pineapple, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro.
- Add lime juice and stir to combine.
- Salt to taste.
- SEARED SCALLOPS:
- While the rice is resting off of the heat, begin the scallops.
- Add butter to large skillet pan on high heat.
- Salt and pepper scallop tops/bottoms.
- Once the butter is hot, and slightly smoky, add the scallops gently, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Sear scallops for approximately 1 1/2 minutes on each side. They should have a golden crust on both sides while still being translucent in the center.
- Assemble the coconut rice, pineapple salsa, and scallops. Serve immediately.
Did you decide to try out this recipe? Take a picture and tag #forkinthekitchen!