Indulge with a gourmet grilled cheese with three melty cheeses inside big sourdough slices that are coated with garlic butter and encrusted with parmesan cheese.
You know the sitch: it’s dark way too early (thanks, winter), you’re exhausted (thanks, life), and you’re starving.
The hangry is about to set in and you need some comfort food STAT. Not just any comfort food. You need the U-L-T-I-M-A-T-E grilled cheese.
Grilled cheese that’s loaded with 3 types of gooey cheeses. Grilled cheese that is crusted in parmesan cheese. Grilled cheese that’s coated in garlic butter. Four Cheese Grilled Cheese is THAT sandwich and it is going to make all grilled cheese dreams come true.
If you’re looking to make the most gourmet, ultimate grilled cheese, you’ve gotta take the cheeses to the max. If it’s not oozing cheese, is it even a grilled cheese sandwich?
Here’s what we’ve got:
- Sharp Cheddar
Inside those sourdough slices, the provolone, sharp cheddar cheese, and gouda create a creamy, rich, complex flavor when all combined in their meltiness.
Parmesan is crusted on the outside of the bread, creating a wonderfully crisp texture to hold in all the ooey-gooey melted cheeses.
But wait! We need all the details because we have to talk about this garlic butter, too. Yes, a garlic butter grilled cheese. Life. Made.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- First things first: find the best sourdough bread you can. Yes, I suppose you can use whatever slices are your favorites, but there’s something about grilled cheese on sourdough.
- Next: make the garlic butter. We’re talking fresh garlic and creamy butter coming together to create an epic addition to grilled cheese.
- Make sure your fresh parmesan is thinly shredded.
- Heat the griddle and spread that garlic butter on thick across one side of each slice of bread.
- Press the shredded parmesan into the buttered sides and place on the griddle.
- Layer on your cheese slices. You know, provolone, gouda, and sharp cheddar.
- Let the cheeses melt, the parmesan crust crisp up to golden brown perfection, and get ready to devour.
What to Eat with Grilled Cheese
If you need something to accompany your grilled cheese, my favorite is Roasted Tomato Carrot Ginger Soup. A bowl of traditional tomato soup is also a solid way to go, too.
Whether you decide to serve a side with it or not, this gourmet grilled cheese recipe is really going to take your sandwich game to the next level!
- Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese
- Croque Madame (vegetarian and traditional!)
- Super Greens Sandwich
- Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
4 Cheese Garlic Grilled Cheese
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese thinly shredded
- 4 large sourdough bread slices
- 2-4 slices provolone cheese
- 2-4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-4 slices gouda cheese
- Mix together the room temperature butter and minced garlic until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a flat skillet on the stove over medium heat. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the parmesan cheese evenly among the slices, patting into the buttered side of each slice of bread.
- Place two bread slices, buttered side down, on the hot skillet. Place 1-2 slices of each cheese on the bread slices and then place the remaining slices of buttered bread on top (the buttered side facing up). As the bottom side of the sandwich turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt (approximately 3-4 minutes) flip the sandwiches and cook until the next side is golden brown and cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.
This recipe was updated for clarity, as well as updated photos, in October 2019.