You know one of my go-to dinner side dishes is a roasted vegetable… until now. Now, air fryer vegetables are IN. They require such little time, create the perfect fork-tenderness with a little crispiness, and don’t require a whole oven to be heated.
And while the air fryer is really great for frozen asparagus when it’s not in season, there’s nothing that compares to fresh asparagus in the spring!
You only need a few basic ingredients for this recipe. Of course, you can always add additional seasonings or flavor elements to fit your meal. We’ll talk more about that in a minute. Right now, let’s get to some ingredient notes:
- Fresh Asparagus: one of the best spring vegetables! You’ll want to find stalks that are medium in size so they don’t cook too quickly in the air fryer. I also recommend you trim the stalks.
- Olive Oil: or oil of choice. You’ll need just a tiny bit to encourage those tips to crisp up.
- Salt: because you know I love a little salt to bring out the flavor.
That’s it! Now, you can add seasonings before cooking, too, like garlic powder, onion powder, or dried herbs. I recommend adding something like lemon juice once they’re done cooking though, for the most brightness.
How to Air Fry Asparagus
It is so simple to air-fry asparagus! First, wash the stalks, then trim off the dried, woody ends.
Then, it’s as simple as tossing them with a little olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt (and pepper, if you’d like).
Place them in the basket with the crisper rack in place. Make sure they’re in as much of a single layer as possible. As they cook, they will shrink to fit in more evenly, too.
Air fry fresh asparagus at 390F for about 6-8 minutes. I don’t preheat the air fryer for this method, and if you do, it will require a little less time.
The time will also vary depending on the thickness of your asparagus. The thinner the stalks, the more quickly they will cook. And vice-versa, the thicker the stalks, the longer it will take.
And finally, please keep in mind the cooking time and temperature of the air fryer may need to be adjusted depending on the model you have. I use a 4-quart air fryer that’s perfect for small batches!
Once the asparagus is fork-tender with crisp tops, they’re ready to enjoy and garnish!
4-QUART NINJA AIR FRYER
This air fryer is easy to use and is the perfect size for two or a small family.
Ways to Season Asparagus
You’ll love the variety of air fryer asparagus! There are so many ways to add flavor and mix and match for a variety of meals.
- Squeeze fresh lemon for extra brightness! The acid helps bring out the flavor of asparagus, too.
- Drizzle on a sauce – I love a fresh lemon herb sauce, a zesty chimichurri sauce, or even a simple basil pesto!
- Toss with chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
- Grated parmesan or another shredded cheese is a favorite, too.
- Balsamic vinegar or a vinaigrette dressing.
- Sprinkle on fresh herbs like dill, tarragon, or parsley.
What to Serve with Asparagus
So you’ve figured out the veggie you’re going to serve with dinner, but what about everything else?! Luckily, asparagus makes the perfect pairing with so many main dishes. Give one of these a try to start!
- Parmesan Rosemary Fish
- Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Fettuccine Alfredo for Two
- Just about any main meat dish from chicken, salmon, steak, shrimp…you name it.
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Get the Recipe 10-Minute Air Fryer Fresh Asparagus
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional, to taste
- Prepare the asparagus by trimming the woody, dried ends.
- In the basket of the air fryer (or a separate mixing bowl) toss asparagus spears with olive oil, salt, and pepper. If you want to add spices like garlic or onion powder, do so here, too. Spread in an even layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set the air fryer to 390°F. Cook for 6-8 minutes. For thin asparagus spears, you'll need less time, around 4-5 minutes. Toss halfway through. Time may vary depending on the model of air fryer you use. Once they're fork-tender yet slightly crisp, they're ready!
- Serve immediately. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice, grated parmesan cheese, or chopped nuts as desired. See the post for more serving suggestions, too!
- Air Fryer: this recipe was tested with a 4-quart Ninja air fryer. The exact cook time may vary depending on the model of your air fryer.
- Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400°F until crisp and warm.