Soft Sugar Cookies – these cookies are amazingly soft, light, slightly chewy, and have that perfect sugar cookie tang.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream together butter, vegetable oil, white sugar, powdered sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix into creamed mixture. Mix in vanilla extract. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into balls (I use a 1 inch scoop) and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten balls with a sugar-dipped glass. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are just beginning to barely brown.
I run the bottom of the glass in water before dipping in the sugar to make sure it sticks.