Bursting with fresh, sweet, slightly tart apricots and warm, nutty almond flavors these bars are an instant hit! They’re topped with a crumble that makes them irresistibly delicious!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup almond slices (for the topping)
- 5–6 small apricots (~1 1/4 pounds), diced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8×8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in the melted butter and extracts until combined and a pebble-like mixture forms. Press approximately 2/3 of the mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Add almond slices to the remaining mixture, being careful to keep it in “crumble” form. Place in the fridge.
- Make the filling by combining the apricots, sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, and almond extract until apricots are thoroughly coated. Spread in an even layer on top of the par-baked crust. Top with the almond crumble topping and bake for 38-42 minutes until edges are bubbly and top is slightly golden brown.
- Let cool completely (see note) before cutting into bars and serving.
I like to let the bars set up completely in the fridge so they are easier to cut into bar form. You can serve immediately if you want more of a crisp-like dessert.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer, baking, fresh fruit, potluck, bbq