Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese on Challah – the dessert of grilled cheese; think of it as a cheese plate in melted perfection – cardamom, brie, honey, arugula, and apricot preserves layered between two thick slices of sweet challah bread.
- 1 Tablespoon butter (additional for buttering bread)
- 1 shallot bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 Challah bread slices
- 1/2 cup brie slices (~10 slices)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup arugula
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add thinly sliced shallots and cook over low-medium heat until caramelized (approximately 5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of challah bread and place butter side down on the pan. Spread apricot preserves equally among all slices of bread, these will be one side of two sandwiches. Place 2 1/2 slices of brie on each slice of bread. Sprinkle slices with cardamom and black pepper and top two of the slices with caramelized shallot. Top those same slices with arugula (1/4 cup for the two slices) and drizzle with honey (1/2 teaspoon on each of the two slices).
- Once brie is slightly melted, take the slice with just brie and the slice with the arugula; put them together to create the sandwich.
- Category: Sandwiches