Whether it’s brunch or breakfast-for-dinner, this hearty, spicy, artichoke and kale base is baked with eggs and is best served with a slice of hearty bread for sopping up the flavors and egg yolk!
Let’s gather around the table, pull up an extra chair, break apart some crusty bread, and pour an extra cup of coffee, shall we?
Because this Artichoke Kale Shakshuka is going to change the vegetarian brunch game.
Picture it: friends and family gathered around the skillet (in fact, the only skillet you’ll need – yes, ONE PAN!), laughter filling the air, hot coffee warming hands, and the oo’s and ah’s erupting after each bite of shakshuka.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka is popular in North Africa and Isreal. So hi, flavor! The basic description of a shakshuka is this: eggs poached in a spicy tomato stew with peppers and any other veggies of choice. Simple enough sounding, right? It is – but the flavors are intense, deep, and spicy!
But wait, where are the tomatoes in this version, you ask? They’re not there.
This is more or less a “green” shakshuka. A traditional shakshuka makes me want to cuddle in under the blankets while the snow falls and binge on the latest Netflix show.
But a green shakshuka? It makes me want to break out the mimosas, open the windows, and turn up the music for kitchen dance parties. Spring is on its way, so let’s welcome it with Artichoke Kale Shakshuka!
Ingredients in Shakshuka
I had to add some of my favorite players in my version of a green shakshuka. Ones that felt cozy yet are in season as we approach warmer temperatures and sunnier days.
And we all love the main components – hi, Creamy Artichoke Leek and Kale Dip 🙂
Here are the key players:
- (are you surprised yet?… haha!)
- serrano peppers for a kick
- a few other spices
- feta cheese
You’ve GOT to serve shakshuka with some sort of crusty bread. Once the yolk of the poached eggs breaks open, the creaminess spreads throughout and there’s nothing like taking a bite, sopping up a bit with bread, and enjoying.
You know what’s better than the simple ingredients that produce unbelievable flavors? You make it all in ONE PAN. ONE. Seriously. Get yourself your oven-safe skillet (I highly recommend using a cast-iron skillet!).
All the veggies cook with additional spices, the eggs go in little “nests”, and it bakes away in the oven until the whites are set and the yolks are just runny enough. Really, however, cooked you want, but I’m a sucker for a runny egg yolk.
I’d love to hear – or even better SEE – what’s around your table when you make this Artichoke Kale Shakshuka. Remember to take a pic and tag me on Instagram. I LOVE to see what you’re cooking up in your kitchen!
Artichoke Kale Shakshuka
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and white/light green parts quartered*
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1-2 serrano peppers, finely diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 14- oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- ~1/4 cup crumbled feta for topping
- Optional for garnish: green onion, cilantro, micro greens
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. When it bubbles a bit, add leeks, onion, and serrano peppers. Let cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and spices; stir to coat. Add pinches of salt throughout the cooking process to layer in the flavor. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the artichokes. Stir in cilantro and kale until combined.
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, create 4 small wells in the veggie mixture, to put the eggs into. Crack an egg directly into a well, or crack it into a small bowl and trasfer one-by-one into each well.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until egg whites are set. Once cooked as desired, top with feta crumbles and garnish with additional cilantro, green onions, or microgreens. Serve with bread for best results.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
This is a brunch game changer!
I couldn’t agree more! 🙂 Thanks, Molly!
I’m a huge fan of all of these ingredients & knew I had to make it. I showed my husband 4 recipes & he picked this (which I was thrilled). It was easy to prep, easy to cook and tasted amazing! All of these ingredients together had the most delicious flavor! This will definitely be a regular in my house!
I’m SO excited to hear that! Thanks so much, Jenny!