Whether it’s brunch or breakfast-for-dinner, this hearty, spicy, artichoke and kale base is baked with eggs and is best served with a slice of hearty bread for sopping up the flavors and egg yolk!
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and white/light green parts quartered*
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1–2 serrano peppers, finely diced
- 4–5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- ~1/4 cup crumbled feta for topping
- Optional for garnish: green onion, cilantro, micro greens
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. When it bubbles a bit, add leeks, onion, and serrano peppers. Let cook for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and spices; stir to coat. Add pinches of salt throughout the cooking process to layer in the flavor. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the artichokes. Stir in cilantro and kale until combined.
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, create 4 small wells in the veggie mixture, to put the eggs into. Crack an egg directly into a well, or crack it into a small bowl and trasfer one-by-one into each well.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until egg whites are set. Once cooked as desired, top with feta crumbles and garnish with additional cilantro, green onions, or microgreens. Serve with bread for best results.
To cut the leeks: trim off the root end and top stems (where the white turns dark green). Cut lengthwise and lay on flat side. Cut lengthwise again and then dice. Clean properly by placing cut pieces in a bowl of water and stir around to remove any dirt and sand. Drain and rinse.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: North African
Keywords: healthy, one pot, vegetarian, easy