Shouldn’t all Mondays involve cookies?
Two huge announcements: it’s finally the last week of the school year and CAKE COOKIES.
Yes, cake cookies, to celebrate the (almost) end of my first year back to teaching, and back to Minnesota.
So what are such these so-called cake cookies, you may be asking yourself?
They’re exactly what they sound like – light, airy cake-like cookies. Basically, they are the best of both the cake and cookie world.
They’re soft, pillowy bites of banana + chocolate in an easy to access form –> cookies!
I have this banana buying problem.
As in, I buy too many, I don’t eat them, and then I have about a trillion bananas sitting on my counter/fridge/freezer that I need to make something with.
Of course, banana bread, banana cake (with Nutella ganache !!!), and banana carrot muffins are always good options, but sometimes you just needed a quick go-to sweet treat that you can eat anytime, anywhere.
In all this banana craze, I wanted pop-in-my-mouth quickness + a deliciously sweet treat.
Cake Cookies they shall be!
So I took those extra ripe bananas and set out to make banana cookies.
As I tested the first batch, the words that came out of my – and my taste tester’s – mouth was “hmm, they’re like cake cookies”.
Now, this was not a problem, but it wasn’t what I had in mind. I wanted something more cookie like. After testing many different varieties – including no eggs – I decided that cake cookies were going to be the thing because they were too dang delicious.
OH – and this no egg thing. Have you heard that bananas can sub for eggs? Well, I tried it. I used 3 instead of 2 bananas and the result was very similar. So if you have an egg allergy, go ahead and just add another banana! I did slightly prefer the texture of the cake cookies with the egg, which is why I kept it in the final recipe.
If your Monday needs a little pick-me-up or you’re celebrating the last week of work/school as I am, grab those old bananas and whip up some Banana Cake Cookies in a flash.
Your taste buds will thank you as you bite into the sweet, chocolate, fluffy, soft, yummilicious cake cookie.Print
Soft, pillowy, cake-like cookies bursting with banana and chocolate!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 2 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in white and brown sugar into butter for 30 – 45 seconds. Add egg, vanilla extract, and banana extract; whisk until combined.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until combined. Stir in bananas and chocolate chips. Using a medium scoop, ball cookies onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cool on cooling rack.
If you want to go egg-free, add another mashed banana in place of the egg.