Light, moist banana cake drizzled with a creamy Nutella ganache, it’s the perfect dessert any time!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 3 medium well-ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (approx. half lemon)
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup nutella
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: top with crushed pistachios
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter or grease a bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mash together ripe bananas and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Add yogurt. Stir in dry ingredients until combined. Stir in banana and lemon juice mixture.
- Evenly spread in a bundt pan. Bake for 65-70 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted, comes out clean. Immediately place in the freezer for 45 minutes. Remove pan from freezer; take the cake out and place on a cooling rack (or desired place to drizzle ganache).
- In a small saucepan heat heavy cream to just before a simmer. You want the cream to be warm enough to melt the Nutella, but not curdle.
- Place Nutella in a small bowl. Slowly pour heated cream into Nutella while whisking until combined; whisk in sea salt.
- Drizzle over cake. Recommended: place cake on a cooling rack that’s on top of parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Every Banana Cake recipe I’ve seen has the “freezer trick” – it’s said to keep the cake extra moist. I honestly just jumped on the bandwagon with this one, and had the extra time each time I made it, so if you choose not to freeze it after baking – let me know how it turns out!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: baking, bundt, sweet, birthday