Banana Nut Muffins with Streusel combine the best of both worlds: banana bread and bakery muffins with sweet, crumble topping.
Bananas! Nuts! Muffins! Streusel! Oh my!
I love muffins. I especially love muffins with streusel.
This is why I’m so excited to share these Banana Nut Muffins with Streusel. Your next vegetarian breakfast needs these.
Banana bread is one of my favorite go-to breakfasts/snacks/anytime eats, and these muffins take banana bread up a notch with their super quick eat-on-the-run-ability. Perfect for a weekend, and equally as perfect for those weekdays when you’re rushing out the door with mis-matched socks and uncombed hair.
Oh, is it only me who does that? This time change is killin’ me, but I’ll try to get it together soon. Muffins are part of the plan.
Can I tell you another secret? If you’re really trying to cut back on some sugar this upcoming holiday season, I say DON’T DO IT. It’s the holidays, the days are shorter, it’s colder… no need to deprive yourself of it now.
Just kidding (kind of), but really if you are go ahead and skip the streusel; the muffins will still be moist and hit the breakfast spot.
But in case it wasn’t clear the first time, I highly recommend the streusel. It’s sweet, a bit crunchy, and everything you want in that crumble streusel topping. I mean – look at that. If you can say no to that, I want your willpower. Just a fraction of it? Maybe?
I love that I’m able to make a batch of these muffins on the weekend and still have leftovers to take throughout the week. That is a win-win in my book!
*disclaimer: this only works because I’m in a household of two and cannot eat 18 muffins in a sitting (oh if I could!) so if you’re looking for them to last a while and you have lots of mouths to feed, consider making a double batch!
Happy muffin making!
Banana Nut Muffins with Streusel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line or grease muffin tins (approximately 18).
- To create the streusel, use a rubber spatula to combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, butter, and flour (use the amounts listed under streusel, not the muffins). Pea sized balls or smaller will form. Set aside.
- For the muffins, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas using a fork.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the combined dry ingredients. Mix with a spatula until just incorporated (do not overmix).
- Fold in the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts.
- Using a 1 inch ice cream scoop, fill muffin tins with 1.5 scoops. If you do not have a scoop, fill approximately 2/3 of the liner.
- Top each muffin with approximately 1 tablespoon of streusel.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until edges are slightly golden brown and tops bounce back when lightly touched.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.