Basil Mint Pesto – fresh basil and mint pair perfectly for the light, refreshing, summer pesto made with toasted walnuts for additional complexity.
I told y’all you were going to have a lot of basil in your future and here’s the first of it — Basil Mint Pesto! I looooove pesto, and my first and true love is traditional Basil Pesto, but let’s just say this comes in a very close second – if not inching its way into first.
Not only was my basil plant exploding, but the mint was growing like a weed (oh, how weeds of mint would make the world so much happier, right?). Since basil and mint compliment each other so beautifully, I knew the rest of my time in North Carolina demanded summertime dishes with fresh from-the-garden herbs.
I also wanted to add the warm, rich flavor of toasted walnuts to this pesto as well — oh yes, adding a notch in the health factor here too!
My favorite ways to enjoy pesto:
- Pasta (too obvious?)
- Flatbread // Pizza
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Dip << probably my favorite
- Toast and a poached egg
- Ricotta, Asparagus, Pesto Quiche
- On a spoon
Seriously, I could go on and on and on. This Basil Mint Pesto has everything you and I both love in a pesto – fresh basil, garlic, the light summery feel – but the subtle surprise of mint makes a stellar appearance. The mint totally brings on the summer vibes. This pesto will definitely make your mouth do a happy dance.
Coming up soon: more favorite ways to use basil mint pesto. Your summer menu has been set.
Basil Mint Pesto
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups basil leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Layer the walnuts in a small skillet over low to medium heat. Toast walnuts for 3-5 minutes, just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn or they'll be no good.
- In a food processor, add basil, mint, garlic, parmesan, and toasted walnuts. Pulse several times until a coarse mixture forms. Begin drizzling in olive oil while pulsing until all olive oil is added and desired consistency is reached.