- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional: toasted pine nuts)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a food processor, add the basil leaves, pine nuts, and garlic cloves.
- Chop until coarsely mixed.
- Add parmesan cheese and salt to food processor. Pulse the food processor until ingredients are just mixed.
- Slowly add the olive oil while pureeing the pesto, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pesto is ready to use immediately or can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
If storing the fridge, cover the top of the pesto with plastic wrap to reduce its exposure to air.