An easy-to-make spread that is a simple appetizer in itself or a briny addition to a cheese plate!
- 1 1/2 cups Niçoise olives, pitted and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 – 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- In a food processor (love a mini food processor for this!) add the olives, anchovy paste, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and pepper. Pulse until combined, slowly adding a bit of olive oil. Depending on how liquidy your olives are, you may want more or less olive oil.
- Adjust for taste – it is briny. Do not add salt (unless of course you like really extra briny/salty things).
- Serve with crackers, bread, or veggies!
Vegan: to make without anchovy paste, substitue in 1/4 tsp (~7-8) capers, rinsed. You can omit completely and just use the olives, too, but it will be less umami/briny then.
A great place to find Niçoise olives in in the olive bar at your local grocer; you can find them in the jarred section. Since Niçoise olives are less pungent than Kalamta, you don’t want to use them as a replacement (unless of course you want the extra pungent flavor).
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: easy, simple. snack. french