What’s warm and juicy and crunchy and bursts with the flavor of summer?
It’s gotta be Blueberry Almond Crisp.
FRIENDS !!! Your summer dessert game is going to be upped a level.
Your guests are going to be amazed at the end of a casual BBQ party when you whip out this blueberry goodness, topped with scoops of cold vanilla ice cream.
Little will they know just how easy it was to do, or that it required so few ingredients, and that you mostly already had them on hand.
They’ll quickly deduct that you’re the queen of desserts though. IMPRESSED will be the general consensus.
Ready to dig in, then? Good, me too!
For the Love of Crisps
Where are we at in our eternal love for crisps? If you’re just getting started, welcome.
I have a thing for crisps. And I have a thing for crisps that specifically are made without oats. It all started with my Grandma’s Apple Crisp.
Then, life changed forever when I finally incorporated some summery fruits with this Small Batch Cherry Crisp.
Things only continue to look up, now that Blueberry Almond Crisp is in our life. Especially because it’s incredibly easy, the longest part is baking it, and yet it’s jaw-droppingly good.
What Makes it a Crisp?
A crisp is very similar to a streusel or crumb topping. It’s a mixture of flour – sometimes oats – and butter that top a bed of fresh fruit, creating a crunchy, buttery crisp topping.
We’re adding some sliced almonds to this crisp though because they pair insanely well with blueberries (see below!) and give us an added crunch since baby blueberries get pretty juicy once they’re baked.
In this case, the buttery, sugary crisp topping takes the cake – er – the crisp? It melts in your mouth, melding together with the luxuriously juicy fruit layer for an incredible experience.
AND THE BLUEBERRIES!
Do you know what blueberries pair amazingly with?
- Crisp, buttery topping
Ok, the last one was a shameless plug for the topping. But I am in love with the almond – cinnamon pairing with blueberries, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you will be too, very soon.
The cinnamon adds in warmth, and the almond brings out the butteriness in the topping while complimenting the blueberries so well. It’s all a match made in heaven.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
Blueberry Almond Crisp
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 3 TBSP divided
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon heaping
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 7 TBSP unsalted butter cubed
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, combine blueberries, lemon juice, almond extract, 3 TBSP sugar, and cinnamon until blueberries are coated. Transfer to an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, cubed butter, and a pinch of cinnamon. Use a pie blender, fork, or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mix. Once small - medium pea-sized pebbles form, stir in almond slices. Spread evenly on top of the blueberries.
- Bake for 35-42 minutes until the top is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbly. If it's bubbling and only slightly brown (around 30-35 minutes) you can also just turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn if you use the broiler! Let sit for at least 20 minutes to let the juices settle.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or a garnish of fresh mint or basil.
*This post contains Amazon Affiliate links; FITK will receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if an item is purchased.