A bright, summery mix of fresh blueberries, almond extract, and cinnamon topped with a buttery layer of almonds and crisp topping. Baked to bubbly perfection, it’s an instant hit!
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 TBSP granulated sugar + 1/2 cup, divided
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon + pinch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 7 TBSP unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, combine blueberries, lemon juice, almond extract, 3 TBSP sugar, and cinnamon until blueberries are coated. Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, cubed butter, and a pinch of cinnamon. Use a pie blender, fork, or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mix. Once small – medium pea-sized pebbles form, stir in almond slices. Spread evenly on top of the blueberries.
- Bake for 35-42 minutes until the top is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbly. If it’s bubbling and only slightly brown (around 30-35 minutes) you can also just turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn if you use the broiler! Let sit for at least 20 minutes to let the juices settle.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or a garnish of fresh mint or basil.
Store covered either on the counter (1-2 days) or in the fridge (3-4 days). Eat leftovers at room temperature or reheat in oven for best results – this will keep the topping crisp – you can reheat in the microwave with less crisp crust results.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer, vegetarian, no oats, easy