A light summer salad with massaged kale, candied lemons, blueberries, and almond slivers. Add sliced radishes for an extra crunch!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, halved (or quartered), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (~8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons reserved liquid from candied lemons (or use honey)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pint blueberries
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
- Candied Lemons: dissolve honey, water, and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add lemon slices (halved or quartered) in an even layer. Simmer for approximately 7 minutes and turn. Cook for an additional 7 minutes until soft. Remove from heat and lay lemon slices on waxed paper or a plate to cool. Reserve liquid.
- Dressing: mix together garlic, lemon juice, shallot, reserved liquid (or honey), black pepper, and salt. Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour dressing over kale and massage dressing into kale (yes, use your *washed* hands for best results, literally squeezing the kale and it will soften). Toss in candied lemon slices, almonds, and blueberries.
- Category: Salad