HAPPY (FINALLY) SUMMER! Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve gotten a new recipe your way (thank you for your patience). Since I’m headed to France in a week (!!!!!) there’s gonna be another small lapse in recipe posts. More on that later.
Onto BLUEBERRIES. Is your body craving ALL the fresh summer produce too? For me, once the sunshines brightly, and I feel the heat on my skin, my body immediately craves all things berries and peaches and basil. And mint, and fresh salsa, I mean, the list goes on and on.
I cannot get enough blueberries this time of year – which is likely about to show in the recipes that come out over the next few weeks. Their sweet burst of flavor cannot be rivaled this time of year.
So, first up in what is inevitably going to become my blueberry series is this spinach salad (with a bit of arugula peppered in, if you please).
What’s really the kicker is the vinaigrette.
What’s in Blueberry Vinaigrette?
Only a few ingredients and you’re on your way to a bright, flavorful summer dressing that has so many uses outside of salad!
- fresh blueberries
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- garlic (optional, but I’m a big garlic lover)
- salt and pepper
Yes, that’s it! And I’m willing to bet you’ve got most of those ingredients in your kitchen right now.
Blend ’em up and you’ve got yourself your go-to fresh vinaigrette for the summer.
What about the rest of the salad? Simple, yet just enough variety to add lots of texture, which we know is what makes a delicious salad!
- blueberries (is that obvious ;))
- pistachios (hi, crunch!)
- blue cheese (creamy and strong)
- shallot (mildly sweet and pungent)
- spinach (and a bit of arugula for some pepperiness if you want!)
And there you have it. Wholesome, simple ingredients ready for your next summer picnic, lunch, or BBQ side!
Looking for more healthy summer salads? Check these out:
- Farmer’s Market Strawberry Corn Salad
- Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Salad
- Seared Scallops on Corn Salad
- Nectarine Burrata Basil Salad
Blueberry Power Salad
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 garlic clove optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- ~ 4 cups fresh spinach or greens of choice
- To make the vinegarette: place 1/2 the pint of blueberries in the blender with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.Blend on high until pureed and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Toss together remaining blueberries, shallot, pistachios, blue cheese, and spinach. Toss in with desired amount of dressing and serve.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of green salad recipes. Check it out!