Had to sneak in a healthy, super springy recipe right before Easter – if you’re celebrating.
And if you’re not, good thing this salad is super spring-tastic and absolutely requests to be eaten on a sun-drenched patio with blossoms blooming all around.
While I haven’t had much of an appetite the last few weeks (again, thank you mono), I’ve been craving all the nutrient-rich foods I can get my hands on. Lucky for me, the spring produce is aplenty around here.
And since I know you’re here because you’re all about fresh produce and healthy, easy, yet impressive recipes, this is for YOU.
This salad is absolutely fresh and bright thanks to a few key ingredients.
Bright Salad Ingredients
May I present the bright stars:
- Fresh mint – oh, how I adore fresh mint!
- Fresh lemon – so bright! so fresh! with both the juice and zest, the lemon takes bright to another level
The rest of the players, we’ll call them the fresh stars:
- Snap Peas
- Sugar Peas
- Slivered Almonds
That’s basically it. This salad comes together in under 10 minutes and couldn’t be easier to toss together.
I kept it simple on purpose.
Picture brunches with elaborate quiches, what other than a simple, light, yet texture filled salad, do you need?
Or next to Parmesan Rosemary Crusted Fish… nothing heavy, just a light, healthy salad.
You see, this salad adds the light balance next to a heavier meal as it is.
Of course, if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, or want the salad on its own, you could throw on some burrata (OH I LOVE ME SOME BURRATA), add some crunchy radishes, throw in some zucchini noodles… the possibilities are endless.
Whatever way you decide to make this Bright Spring Vegetable Salad, I do hope you’ll snap a pic and share it with me over on Instagram or in an email. I LOVE to see what you’re cookin’ up over in your kitchen!
Bright Spring Vegetable Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces (~2 1/2 - 3 cups)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup snap peas
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 1/2 - 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBSP fresh mint chopped
- 1 TBSP honey maple syrup for vegan
- 1 TBSP dijon mustard
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Bring a large saucepan filled with salted water to a boil. Add chopped asparagus and cook for 4-5 minutes, depending on thickness, until slightly tender. Add frozen peas with 1 minute remaining. Transfer immediately to an ice bath.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining salad ingredients - snap peas, arugula, almond slices, and lemon zest - to a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together lemon juice, mint, honey, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking to combine. Taste for salt and pepper levels.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately. If serving the salad later, store the dressing in an airtight container and toss immediately before serving.