Broccoli Butternut Squash Soup is an easy, healthy dinner option that will warm your soul! It’s naturally vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Hellllooooo cozy soup season! I don’t know about where you are, but in Minnesota, it’s been C-O-L-D for far too long already.
Which means it’s going to be a long winter. But it also means we’re all gonna need a lot of comfort food.
Comfort food that is healthy is an added bonus, too, because let’s be real, you can only eat so much hot dish and baked mac and cheese (ok, maybe there is no limit). There is a wonderful time and place for vegetarian soup recipes, and this it.
This is why I absolutely love this butternut squash and broccoli soup. It’s got all the comfort and added health benefits!
I mean, what a better combination than butternut squash and broccoli?! The squash is the best way to add creaminess to this soup without adding dairy. And you know broccoli is good for you, too.
It makes the perfect main for a vegan dinner – even on a busy weeknight! – or if you’re looking for something cozy and gluten-free. Not interested in either? Good thing it’s tasty regardless of any dietary needs!
How to make Broccoli Squash Soup
This recipe truly is so easy, you’re going to love it!
Dice the butternut squash into somewhat equally sized pieces. Then, sautè some onions and garlic, add the squash and broccoli to cook, add a little spice (and a little salt and pepper), some thyme, vegetable broth, and immersion blend together.
Seriously, that’s it. It’s THAT easy.
The added beauty? You can make it all in one pot. Yes, fewer dishes are ALWAYS a win.
Best Way to Serve this Soup
If you’re looking for a little added somethin’-somethin’ on top of the soup, complete it with top it with a dollop of Greek yogurt, creme fraiche, or ricotta – vegan if you need it to be.
Looking for an extra crunch? Add some croutons – gluten-free as needed, again. Some chopped nuts would be an excellent crunchy addition as well.
Check out these other recipes to have with your soup, too (FYI: not all are vegan or gluten-free):
- Vegetable Packed Salad
- Rosemary Crusted Fish
- Super Greens Sandwich
- Autumn Squash Salad
- Simple Dijon Salad
Broccoli Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, small dice (~3 cups)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli, stems and florets
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups vegetable stock
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash to pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, salt, thyme, and white pepper. Cook covered for an additional 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a low simmer. Using an immersion blender, blend vegetables until smooth. Add more vegetable stock as needed until desired thickness is reached.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
This post was originally published on January 16, 2018. The photos and text were updated in November 2019 for clarity; no changes were made to the recipe.