There’s a fresh coat of snow here in Minneapolis, which is just the type of weather this Broccoli Butternut Squash Soup was intended for.
Sorry this post is coming to you a day late, but there was a miracle here in Minneapolis Sunday night, which delayed things a little bit. Did you see it? Do you know what I’m talking about? The MINNESOTA VIKINGS, that’s what!
I’ve said it before, but I’m not a dedicated or true football fan. As a Minnesotan, of course I love the Vikings and would love to see them head to the Super Bowl, but I wasn’t planning to watch the game on Sunday. I spent the day photographing new recipes as I watched the fans walk through the falling snow toward the stadium. I checked the score periodically on my phone. 17-0, Vikings.
Cool, I thought, my brother will be stoked.
I kept going about my day, taking a bath, only to dry off and see it was 17-14. What happened?! Time kept going on, and I began receiving more frequent updates from my football-obsessed family. 21-20, 3 minutes left. I’m not so far in the dark that I couldn’t help but feel the need to start watching the end of the game. Thank goodness for FaceTime, because for the next 15 minutes I FaceTimed in with my family. Through the Saint’s field goal, and all the way through the end. All the way through that amazing touchdown.
The miracle touchdown Minneapolis needed. It was incredible, and again, I’m not even the biggest fan. I can’t imagine the excitement any of you who are huge Vikings fans are feeling.
Ok – enough about that. Whether you’re a football fan or not, Broccoli Butternut Squash Soup is making dinners healthy, flavorful, and comforting.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one of the best soups out there. It’s also not the healthiest soup out there either. On my journey to find balance, I knew I had to find a healthier way to enjoy a comforting, creamy broccoli soup, without all the cream and cheese.
Butternut squash is perfect for adding creaminess without the dairy or calories. Honestly, this soup only has butternut squash for the cream factor, and it’s PERFECT.
Sautè some onions and garlic, add the squash and broccoli to cook, add a little spice, some thyme, vegetable broth, and immersion blend together. Seriously, THAT EASY.
Creamy and comforting.
Cannot argue with that.
If you do want a little added somethin’-somethin’, top it with a dollop of greek yogurt, creme fraiche, or ricotta. Oh, and some croutons on top are spot on.Print
An excellent weeknight dinner that can be made in one pot! Vegan, amazingly comforting, and creamy!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, small dice (~3 cups)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (stems and florets)
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups vegetable stock
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash to pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, salt, thyme, and white pepper. Cook covered for an additional 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a low simmer. Using an immersion blender, blend vegetables until smooth. Add more vegetable stock as needed until desired thickness is reached.
If you use dried thyme, halve the amount.