A creamy, comforting soup that’s packed with veggies and is easy to make in 30 minutes!
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1 small onion, diced (~1 1/2 c)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 large carrot, shredded (I use the large holes)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded* (~2 cups)
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter over medium heat and add diced onion. Sautee for a minute, and add garlic with a pinch of salt; continue sauteeing for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, continuing to whisk for 1-2 minutes to cook the flour down. Whisk in vegetable stock, incorporating with the flour mixture. Add half-and-half, salt, and pepper (to taste), and white pepper. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot. Simmer – do not boil – for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are just tender enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat, and stir in shredded cheese in batches. Adjust salt and pepper as your taste desires, and serve!
- Using the sautee function of your Instant Pot, melt butter and add diced onion. Sautee for a minute, and add garlic with a pinch of salt. Whisk in flour, continuing to whisk for 1-2 minutes to cook the flour down. Add white and black pepper, and an additional pinch of salt. Whisk in 2 cups vegetable stock, incorporating with the flour mixture. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot. Cover, making sure the lid is sealed, and set to high pressure for zero minutes. Once it’s come to pressure, carefully quick release the pressure.
- While the Instant Pot is working its magic, warm the half-and-half in a small saucepan. Once you’ve released the pressure after cooking, stir in half-and-half. Add shredded cheese in batches, stirring to melt in between each addition. Adjust salt level according to taste (since you were able to while cooking :)).
I always buy a block of cheese and shred it myself to eliminate the anti-caking agents that are often in pre-shredded cheese. This comes out to approximately 2 cups of shredded cheese.
Keywords: soup, comfort, winter, 30 minutes, vegetarian