I’ve gotta say, January needs this recipe. And not because of any lingering resolutions…
There’s absolutely nothing brighter – or more fresh tasting – than winter citrus. I’ve been all about it this January (especially for the vitamin C boost)…hi, Salmon Salad, I’m looking at you.
What I’m trying to say is that this recipe is going to lift your spirits, brighten up your mornings, and give you a little pep in your step on dreary mornings. I bet you never thought such a simple recipe could do such a thing – until now!
ALL THE FLAVORS
The simplicity of Broiled Grapefruit with Mint Sugar is absolutely cheer-worthy. Even more so, THE FLAVORS! There’s the tang, the hint of sweetness, and refreshing mint!
I was first inspired by the mint + sugar combination at a local restaurant where every time I would brunch, I’d see grapefruit ordered around me. What’s the rage with grapefruit, I wondered, so I went ahead and tried it for myself.
It’s all in this mint + sugar combination. SERIOUSLY.
I like to use raw sugar for a little extra texture – but regular granulated sugar works well, too.
THE KEY HOWEVER – is to rub the mint and sugar together between your fingers before serving. It helps release all the wonderful mintiness (yes, it’s a word in my book).
Broiling The Grapefruit
Have you broiled grapefruit before? Because something magical happens. Yes, almost as magical as the mint + sugar…so you know this is a homerun recipe.
Spread a tiny bit of maple syrup (or honey or brown sugar) on top of the grapefruit, broil for a few minutes, and voila! Warm, caramelized tart, sweet grapefruit.
Be sure to watch the grapefruit carefully – the rind may brown a bit, but the fleshy part shouldn’t burn.
YES, IT’S SERIOUSLY THAT SIMPLE!
In 5 minutes you’ll have an elegant, easy breakfast or brunch side that’s so impressive! Go ahead, treat yo’ self this January – you deserve it!Print
Caramelized, tart grapefruit topped with sweet, refreshing mint sugar! An elegant, easy breakfast side!
- 1-2 grapefruits, halved
- ~ 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup per grapefruit half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP mint leaves, finely chopped
- Turn broiler on high (525°F). Line a baking sheet with foil, if desired, and place grapefruits on the pan. To help them stand flat, you may need to cut off ~1/4 inch from the rounded bottom.
- Brush tops of grapefruits with maple syrup (alternatively you can use honey or brown sugar). Broil for 4-5 minutes until slightly bubbly and caramelized – watch carefully so flesh doesn’t burn (rind may brown).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sugar and mint, rubbing between fingers to release the oil from the mint.
- Top grapefruit with your desired amount of sugar mixture and serve immediately.
I used raw sugar in the photos but you can also use regular granulated sugar!
To make eating easier, before broiling run a knife along the edge of the flesh and rind and then between the membrane to segment the pieces. Don’t go all the way through the rind, though! You just want to loosen it up enough to be able to spoon out.
Keywords: brunch, easy, quick, healthy, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan