Broiled Grapefruit is a must try – it gets slightly caramelized, extra juicy, and is a wonderful mixture of tart and sweet. Topped with mint sugar for texture and a little sweetness, it’s a delicious breakfast or snack!
I’ve gotta say, January needs this recipe. And not because of any lingering resolutions…
There’s absolutely nothing brighter – or more fresh tasting – than winter citrus. I’ve been all about it this January (especially for the vitamin C boost)…hi, Salmon Salad, I’m looking at you.
What I’m trying to say is that this recipe is going to lift your spirits, brighten up your mornings, and give you a little pep in your step on dreary mornings. I bet you never thought such a simple recipe could do such a thing – until now!
ALL THE FLAVORS
The simplicity of Broiled Grapefruit with Mint Sugar is absolutely cheer-worthy. Even more so, THE FLAVORS! There’s the tang, the hint of sweetness, and refreshing mint!
I was first inspired by the mint + sugar combination at a local restaurant where every time I would brunch, I’d see grapefruit ordered around me. What’s the rage with grapefruit, I wondered, so I went ahead and tried it for myself.
It’s all in this mint + sugar combination. SERIOUSLY.
I like to use raw sugar for a little extra texture – but regular granulated sugar works well, too.
THE KEY HOWEVER – is to rub the mint and sugar together between your fingers before serving. It helps release all the wonderful mintiness (yes, it’s a word in my book).
Broiling The Grapefruit
Have you broiled grapefruit before? Because something magical happens. Yes, almost as magical as the mint + sugar…so you know this is a homerun recipe.
Spread a tiny bit of maple syrup (or honey or brown sugar) on top of the grapefruit, broil for a few minutes, and voila! Warm, caramelized tart, sweet grapefruit.
Be sure to watch the grapefruit carefully – the rind may brown a bit, but the fleshy part shouldn’t burn.
YES, IT’S SERIOUSLY THAT SIMPLE!
In 5 minutes you’ll have an elegant, easy breakfast or brunch side that’s so impressive! Go ahead, treat yo’ self this January – you deserve it!
Broiled Grapefruit with Mint Sugar
- 1-2 grapefruits halved
- ~ 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup per grapefruit half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP mint leaves finely chopped
- Turn broiler on high (525°F). Line a baking sheet with foil, if desired, and place grapefruits on the pan. To help them stand flat, you may need to cut off ~1/4 inch from the rounded bottom.
- Brush tops of grapefruits with maple syrup (alternatively you can use honey or brown sugar). Broil for 4-5 minutes until slightly bubbly and caramelized - watch carefully so flesh doesn't burn (rind may brown).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sugar and mint, rubbing between fingers to release the oil from the mint.
- Top grapefruit with your desired amount of sugar mixture and serve immediately.