Cauliflower Kale Curry is just the weeknight dinner you’ve been looking for! It’s comforting, cozy, warm, healthy, and super full of flavor!
- 1 small-medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger (or 1T minced)
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 small serrano pepper
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt, additional to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups kale, tightly packed (4 cups if loose)
- Optional Garnishes:
- Plain yogurt
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Lime wedges
- Chopped walnuts
- In a food processor or blender, add roughly chopped yellow onion, garlic cloves, ginger, and serrano pepper (if using). Pulse several times until coarsely chopped together, then add the can of tomatoes and continue to puree until well blended (some onion pieces are ok).
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add onion-tomato puree and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, with a pinch of salt to begin layering in the flavors. Add the dried spices to the tomato mixture; stir to combine and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets, stir to coat in sauce, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add vegetable stock*, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover for the last 10 minutes if curry is “soupier” than you would like. Don’t forget to taste test to determine if more salt is needed.
- Once cauliflower is tender, add the kale and stir to wilt. Remove from heat and garnish as desired.
I usually add the full 2 cups of vegetable stock, but I’d recommend starting with 1 1/2 and adding more as needed to determine how “soupy” you want the curry to be.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 114
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 713mg
- Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 17.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
Keywords: easy, one pot, vegetarian, weeknight, vegan