Celery Apple Salad is the perfect combination of crisp lettuce, celery, and apples, balanced with the creamy tang of Gouda and earthy walnuts. It’s all paired with a celery seed dressing, bringing the perfect blend of acidity and sweetness.
I have a love-hate relationship with salads. I’ve gotten into the boring lunch salad rut one too many times, and sometimes I struggle to get out of it. I get lazy and think it’s going to take too much work and too many ingredients to make a yummy salad. And let’s be honest, generally when given the choice between carbs and leaves, I’m choosing carbs. Until I remember this salad.
This salad reminds me that the lunch salad rut should not exist, and I hightail it out of there. It’s perfect for individual lunches or large group gatherings.
The dressing is perfectly acidic and sweet. The celery seeds tie in a subtle celery flavor in every bite.
The dressing + toppings + crisp lettuce = yumilicious. It’s hard to describe why the apple, celery, walnuts, and Gouda work so well with this dressing, but trust me, they do. The Gouda, oh the Gouda, it takes the salad to the next level. It’s the perfect surprise, making a salad feel more decadent. I know, you didn’t think it was possible, did you?
That Gouda with a bite of apple. Whoa. In fact, I challenge myself to make every bite the perfect bite; a little piece of each ingredient.
Have you been in a salad rut? How’d you make it out? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Get the Recipe Celery Apple Salad
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large bunch romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 Gala apples, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Gouda, diced
- In a medium sized bowl, mix honey, celery seed, salt, ground mustard, shallot, and apple cider vinegar together.
- Slowly drizzle in vegetable oil while whisking to combine all ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- Toss salad with dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!