What does every back-to-school routine need? A new granola bar recipe! Cherry Almond Granola Bars are here to make the transition a little easier.
Can you believe that summer’s over, that school’s back in session, and we’re heading into another season of beginnings? Fall always feels like a new beginning; maybe because I’ve gone from my own school year beginnings to college, to being in the classroom as a teacher. All of that aside, September seems to be the time of year where everyone is ready to settle back into routines after the craziness of summer fades away.
What better routine than to add homemade, no-bake Cherry Almond Granola Bars to your meal-prep plan? As I get ready to head back into the classroom (oh my goodness, wish me luck today!) I’m so thankful to have prepared batches of these in advance, individually wrapped, and waiting in my freezer to grab as I rush out the door.
If your mornings are a little more put together than mine, and you manage to have a hot breakfast each morning, these granola bars also make the perfect snack – healthy, full of fiber, and the just-right sweet and salty balance…
So what makes this perfect combination?
- almonds… crunch and texture, oh my!
- almond butter… more texture and a healthy addition
- dried cherries… sweet, sour, slightly tart, an excellent chewiness to counteract the crunchiness of the almonds
- oats… what’s a granola bar without oats?
- honey… adds sweetness and helps to hold it all together
- salt flakes… for a fancy finish
You know what else would be epic on these? A CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE. I mean, what isn’t better with a drizzle of chocolate? I didn’t post the recipe with it, because I’m trying to be healthier in many aspects of life. But you should do it and report back! Please, and thank you.
As I mentioned earlier, Cherry Almond Granola Bars are so dang easy to make, they’re almost a no-brainer for meal-prep and are the perfect bars to stash away in your freezer for emergency snack/breakfast situations. Yes, and yes!Print
Easy, no-bake granola bars with crunchy almonds, and chewy sweet-and-sour dried cherries, they’re perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or snack!
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)*
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup almonds, unsalted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries, optional: rough chop half of them
- Prepare a 9×9 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper for easy removal of the bars. Make sure some excess hangs over the edge so you can pick it up easily.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together almond butter, honey, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, and salt. Heat over low-medium heat until mixture begins to slowly simmer. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, stir together oats, almonds, and dried cherries. Once the liquid mixture is dissolved together on the stove, pour it into the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread evenly in parchment lined baking dish. Sprinkle with flaky salt as desired. Let cool in the fridge at least 1 hour. Cut into 12 bars. You can individually wrap them and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I like to add the almond extract for an additional almond flavor, if you choose to leave it out I recommend replacing it with additional vanilla extract.
I chop half of the dried cherries to add texture; your choice!
Keywords: easy, quick, back to school, kid friendly, dairy free, gluten free