This Creamy Avocado and Garlic Herb Sauce is bursting with flavor and so easy to make! It’s ready in less than 5 minutes after coming together in a food processor. It’s naturally vegan and made without oil! Serve it with veggies, slather it on a sandwich, or enjoy it on toast with your morning eggs.
Hello, friend and fellow homemade sauce lover. There’s nothing quite like having an herby sauce on hand that you can use with basically anything. Meal prep this avocado sauce and always keep a jar of it on hand because you’re going to want to use it to dip, slather, and eat it by the spoonful.
Not to mention your avocado toast game just totally leveled up.
This sauce comes together in less than 5 minutes after a quick whirl in a food processor (I love my mini one for this recipe). There’s no oil in this sauce – all the creaminess comes from the trusty avocado. And all those fresh herbs?! Oh, the joy. Let’s see what’s in this luxurious sauce.
What You’ll Need to Make Creamy Herb Sauce
The ingredient list is simple and fresh, with whole foods and a whole lotta flavor.
- Avocado – this is where the sauce gets its creaminess from!
- Garlic – what’s a sauce without garlic? I don’t know.
- Fresh Basil – this sweet and savory herb is magical in more sauces than just pesto!
- Fresh Parsley – adds a bright, fresh, clean flavor.
- Fresh Cives – a little hint of onion flavor to round it all out.
- Lemon Juice – some bright acidity, also helps to keep the avocado from oxidizing (turning brown) too quickly!
- Salt and Pepper
- Water, as needed
How to Make a Creamy Sauce Without Oil
It’s true, it can be done! Making a creamy sauce without oil is totally a thing, thanks to the trusty avocado. In fact, there aren’t any oil-substituting ingredients here either (as you saw above). No mayo, no sour cream, no dairy in sight, just wholesome ingredients turning into a creamy flavorful sauce.
You’re also going to love how easy it is to make. I almost feel like it doesn’t even need its own section of the blog post it’s so easy, but I do have a tip or two for you, so here we are.
Add the ingredients to a food processor. A food processor of any size – a mini one will work as will a larger one. For a larger food processor, you may need to scrape the sides of the bowl more frequently to keep the blade within range of the ingredients to puree them.
I recommend roughly chopping, or even tearing, the stems of the herbs like the parsley and chives. Otherwise, they tend to get wrapped around the blade of the food processor (when using a mini one especially).
After combining the ingredients, add more or less water depending on the consistency you desire. More water will obviously thin it out, and less will keep the sauce thicker, perfect for spreading on sandwiches.
Once the consistency is to your liking, be sure to taste test to adjust the salt and pepper levels to your preferences. You can also adjust the amount of lemon juice or water as needed.
Ways to Use Avocado Herb Sauce
This avocado herb sauce is so versatile, there really isn’t a wrong way to use it! Pair it with a recipe where you want a creamy herb sauce or a recipe where you crave something with avocado. It’s a win-win!
- Serve it with veggies to dip in it.
- Slather it on a sandwich, like the super greens sandwich or on a BLT!
- Pair it with a cheesy quesadilla (add some cilantro to it for a Mexican-inspired twist!).
- Or go ahead and serve it with tacos.
- Serve it with french fries or roasted potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you totally can! I recommend storing it in an airtight container, preferably with plastic wrap flush with the top of the sauce to prevent oxidization. Make sure there are no air pockets inside the sauce either.
If the top of the sauce turns brown, it’s totally ok, it just means that the avocado has oxidized (been exposed to the air too long). You can eat it, or you can skim off the discolored part and continue enjoying.
Yes, feel free to mix and match the herbs!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Creamy Avocado Garlic Herb Sauce (Without Oil)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley , stems roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Chives, roughly chopped
- 3 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoon Water, if needed to thin
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. Taste test to adjust for salt and pepper levels.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! To store, place in an airtight container with plastic wrap flush to the top of the sauce before placing on the lid to help prevent oxidization. Will keep for 2-3 days if stored properly.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of savory homemade sauce recipes. Check it out!