There are no Monday blues ’round here because Crispy Falafel Sliders are in town.
The sun was shining all weekend long, so I really can’t complain. Actually, if I’m being honest with you, I’m trying really hard not to complain. You know that saying, “chaos precedes great change”? Well, I’m currently in the chaos phase of it. I’m telling myself for now a great change is a comin’, anyway.
For starters, thank you for dealing with the lack of recipe update emails. There’s a whole lot of coding mess that I have no idea how to fix and hope to have a web developer fix this week. Can’t I just create recipes and taking pictures and have all the tech stuff magically work/fix itself?!? UGH.
Then, my car gives me an error: “Transmission Malfunction. Service now.” Which of course I read as “YOU’RE SCREWED.”
So yeah, it’s been a week of things breaking. Fingers crossed this “great change” happens soon. And thank you for listening and being patient as I was semi-MIA. ONTO THESE CRISPY FALAFEL SLIDERS.
I love falafel. I love falafel in a pita. I love falafel in a bowl. I love falafel on a salad. I love falafel in a slider.
How do you like your falafel? If you haven’t had slider form yet – get ready for a summer filled with these mini-sammies loaded with flavor. As a mostly vegetarian, summertime grill parties can have their pitfalls. Well-intended friends buy packaged, bland, rock-hard veggie burgers, or dinner becomes just a bunch of chips and wine (I’m totally a snacker so this works for me most of the time). But nothing replaces the feeling of a bun in hand, a drink in the other, and the sun shining down.
So, my fellow vegetarian friends (and meat-eating falafel loving friends!) no more being left of out the slider club. And you know what, even those meat-eaters out there will be reaching for a Crispy Falafel Slider in the end, because they’re so dang tasty!
The falafel patty has all the falafel flavors…
To get their crispy exterior, the patties are coated in panko and fried in a bit of oil. Trust me on this – you don’t want to skimp this part.
AND THE SAUCE! HERB-Y, LEMONY MAYO. SO EASY. Doesn’t sauce just make everything extra, extra tastier?! Such a simple, flavorful combination of mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, and parsley.
And wait for it… homemade pickles AND pickled onions garnish off the Crispy Falafel Slider for additional brininess and a kick of spice. Such a winning partnership, if I do say so myself. I know you’ll agree… so get out there and get to whipping up some sliders!Print
A crispy falafel slider topped with an herb mayo, pickles, and pickled onions! A flavorful vegetarian dinner.
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas (429g), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 heaping cup shallots, roughly chopped (~1 medium bulb)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- Pinch of black pepper
- 4–6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup panko
- Oil for frying
- Slider Buns
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Homemade pickles and onions, for garnish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, shallot, garlic, cilantro, parsley, salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper . Pulse until a coarse pea-sized mixture forms. Add 4 Tablespoons flour, and continue pulsing until combined. If the mixture is really sticky, add an additional 1-2 Tablespoons until mixture is uniform and fairly smooth.
- Take approximately 2 Tablespoons of mixture and form into a ball, continuing until you have 8. Roll in panko and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to “set up”.
- Meanwhile, begin heating a flavorless oil in a skillet over medium heat. Oil should be approximately 1 inch high in the pan. Add falafel balls in the hot oil, evenly spacing them and not crowding the pan. Using a spatula, gently press down on the ball to form a patty. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel or cooling rack. Continue frying the remaining falafel (I usually do 2 batches).
- Assemble sliders with falafel, lettuce, pickles and onions, herb mayo, and any additional toppings you want!
- Whisk together all ingredients. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern