These Spring Rolls are refreshing and the perfect appetizer for a sunny spring day gathering! The mint and cilantro liven up the mix of vegetables, while the pairing of two different dipping sauces take your taste buds to a whole other level!
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 10 lettuce leaves, chopped or rice paper sized
- 5 tablespoons fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 5 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup bean threads (or vermicelli rice noodles), soaked in water to soften
- 10 rice paper wrappers
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Thai peanut sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
Sriracha Fish Sauce:
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
FRESH SPRING ROLLS:
- Place bean threads in warm water, and prepare a separate dish filled with warm water, wide enough to fit rice paper wrappers.
- Dip 1 rice paper wrapper into water dish for approximately 30 seconds, until wrapper is just soft. Lay wrapper flat on a dry surface, such as a cutting board.
- If using full leaves of lettuce, place lettuce leaf in center of rice paper; if using chopped lettuce, spread evenly in the middle of the rice paper wrapper.
- Make a small pile of a bean threads and a few slices of the following: carrot, red bell pepper, and cucumber. Sprinkle mint and cilantro across the pile.
- Fold in sides of wrapper with the least amount of space, creating a rectangle with two rounded ends.
- Next, fold in one of the rounded sides of the rectangle to tightly wrap around the filling; continue rolling until the roll is closed.
- Place a damp paper towel on top of rolled spring rolls so they don’t dry out before serving. Repeat steps 2-6 until all ingredients have been used.
- Serve spring rolls immediately with both dipping sauces. Recommended drink pairing: traditional mint mojito.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut sauce, hoisin sauce, and chopped peanuts. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
SRIRACHA FISH SAUCE:
- In a separate small bowl, whisk fish sauce, water, lime juice, minced garlic cloves, sugar, Sriracha, and sesame oil to combine. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.