Garlic Lemon Butter Salmon Pasta – I mean, I had to fit it all in the title. It’s all too good to not include.
So… Oprah this week, am I right? Her speech at the Golden Globes as permeated through every social media outlet I’m on. I love Oprah. When I was younger, I used to think that as an adult I’d be a stay-at-home-mom with five kids running around, and that every afternoon when they were napping, I would turn on Oprah with a cup of tea.
And then Oprah left daytime TV. And then I actually grew up and realized that five kids is A LOT of kids. ? Nonetheless, I now have 25 kids running around me – with no hope of a nap or a cup of tea – in the afternoon. Ok, so, there’s a point to all of this Oprah talk. Do you remember her commercial where she proclaims how much she loves bread?
I’m obsessed, too. This pasta is kind of like my version of Oprah’s love of bread. Because I LOVE CARBS. CARBS, CARBS, CARBS. In all of this whole balanced eating, I cannot give up carbs altogether. So, I compromised with the use of whole wheat pasta, and all the balance comes into sight. Put some veggies on the side, some sustainably sourced salmon for added protein and an omega kick and bam! You get pasta, and you get pasta, and you get pasta!
A pasta that balances perfectly. Both the pasta and the salmon have a mixture of garlic, butter, and lemon coated with them. It’s a light sauce, yet just creamy enough to feel a little indulgent. Because my brain totally needs a little feeling of indulgence. When I’m trying to eat extra healthy, if I feel restricted at all, I go in overdrive. This is why true balance is key for me! How about you?
Garlic Lemon Butter Salmon Pasta is also super easy to make. Healthy weeknight dinner, right here, right now. All you need to do is mix together the lemon, melted butter, and garlic. Spread half of it on top of the salmon in a foil packet, throw it in the oven and then it’ll work its magic. Meanwhile, you’ll cook the pasta, sauté some onion, add the rest of the butter mixture, and a little pasta water to bring it all together. And again – BAM! Pasta perfection.
While this pasta is excellent for weeknight dinners, it’s also the perfect for Friday nights. You can stay on your balanced eating plan, while feeling a little Friday indulgent, and getting your kitchen dance party on because you’re cooking at home!
Garlic Lemon Butter Salmon Pasta
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small lemon juiced and zested
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb salmon
- 4-6 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 2-4 Tablespoons pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic cloves, lemon juice, lemon zest, melted butter, and red pepper flakes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Create a salmon packet by cutting two large, equal sized pieces of foil. Place them on top of each other. Place the salmon in the middle of the foil; salt and pepper the top. Spread half of the butter mixture across the top of the salmon (approximately 2-2 1/2 Tablespoons). Top with a lemon slice if desired. Fold together the long sides of the foil and roll up the small edges to create a pouch. Bake for 20-25 minutes until middle is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions, draining in 1-2 minutes before done, being sure to reserve 1/4 cup pasta water.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining butter mixture, reduce heat, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with pasta water (you can start with 2T if you want the sauce thicker, and add up to 4T cup). Add salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Stir in 1 1/2T of the parsley. Top with cooked salmon, use lemon wedges and remaining parsley to garnish.