Green Bean Wild Rice Casserole – this favorite side dish turned even heartier with the addition of wild rice. An excellent main dish or side on cold winter nights!
- 1–2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, halved and chopped 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups green beans, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add onion slices and celery; cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent and soft. Add garlic, thyme, white pepper, and salt (additional pepper if desired). Stir in green beans and wild rice. Remove from heat and stir in vegetable broth and cream of mushroom soup until well combined. Transfer to 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Optional: garnish with parsley.
If using Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup that’s been previously frozen, place in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and stir frequently until warm.
Depending on the exact size of the pan you use, it may take longer or shorter for all liquid to be absorbed.
If you’re using pure wild rice instead of a blend, reduce vegetable stock by 1/4 cup and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Midwestern
Keywords: thanksgiving, easy, casserole, midwest, vegetarian