Grilled Sour Cream and Onion Dip is an easy no-hassle appetizer recipe made with pantry staples. Roasted on the grill, the onion and garlic become a caramelized dream and make this onion dip addictingly delicious!
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp + few splashes Worcheshire sauce
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven or grill to 450°F. Prepare the onion by cutting off the top and bottom, and removing the outer layer. Cut 4 slits in the onion top, going about halfway through. Cut out the center of the onion, about 1 inch deep. Place the prepared onion on a piece of foil large enough to wrap around the entire onion.
- Gently peel back several layers of the onion and place 4 garlic cloves inside the onion layers and on top of the onion as best as possible. Place the butter, 1/2 tsp onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper on top of the onion. Wrap the foil around the onion.
- Place the foil packet on the top rack of the grill or in the middle of the oven. Roast for 25-35 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat, open foil, and let cool.
- Once the onion is cooled enough to handle, drain the remaining liquid into a bowl. Chop the onion and garlic to the desired size for the dip.
- Whisk together excess liquid with sour cream, Worcheshire sauce, 1/4 tsp onion powder, salt, and pepper. Taste to adjust salt/pepper/onion levels as needed and add the chopped onion and garlic, stirring until combined. Chill in an airtight container until ready to serve (you can serve immediately but I personally like it chilled). Serve with potato chips and enjoy!
Use vegetarian Worcheshire sauce to make this recipe veg-friendly!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer, party, easy, grill, gluten free, dip