Make these cupcakes to wow a crowd – rich, decadent chocolate cake batter is full of deep chocolate and stout beer flavor, topped with a velvety cream cheese frosting!
- 1 cup Guinness Beer
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 TBSP baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (go ahead and use all 8 if you want it extra cream-cheesy)
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line cupcake pan with liners. Over medium heat, slowly bring the Guinness and butter to a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to continue cooling slightly.
- While the cocoa mix is cooling, sift together remaining dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer and a new mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream until combined; the mixture will be smooth and a pale yellow. Slowly begin adding the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture while the mixer is running on “stir” or very slowly mixing. You don’t want to go too fast so the chocolate mixture has a bit more time to cool and temper into the eggs. Once it’s combined, turn off the mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl at once, and beat on low speed for approximately 10-15 seconds (really!) until just combined. Do not over mix! Using a spatula, fold batter until completely combined if needed.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full (I use about 1 1/2 scoops of my 1-inch scoop). Bake for 18-20 minutes, until cupcake top springs back when lightly touched, or a thermometer reads 195-198°F. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- Once cooked, let the pan cool slightly and remove cupcakes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Once all ingredients are combined, continue beating on medium speed until smooth.
- Pipe or spread on completely cooled cupcakes and enjoy! Optional: Sprinkle top of cupcakes with cocoa powder.
High quality cocoa powder will make all the difference! I use Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa. For the frosting, milk may also be used, but it will result in a less creamy frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: st. patrick's day, party, birthday, sweet