Healthier Potato Cauliflower Salad is coming at you this Memorial Day!
Wait, did I really just say Memorial Day?! I have no idea where this year has flown off to (if you do, maybe let me know?). It’s like I blinked and here we are, halfway through the year. Regardless of how fast the year is flying by, it’s been a pretty great one so far and three day weekends are ALWAYS excellent in my book.
This Memorial Day weekend, I’m headed to Chicago for a quick get away (looking at YOU for recommendations…), but will be back in time for some classic Memorial Day celebrating – cookouts, family, lawn games…you know, the works!
In the continuous struggle to always find/have balance, I’ve decided to go a little healthier this Memorial Day. Insert Healthier Potato Cauliflower Salad!
It is just like your favorite potato salad, but with fewer carbs since half the potatoes are swapped with cauliflower. The taste you ask? You won’t even miss all those potatoes. To make this potato salad even healthier, it’s mixed with a very light, tangy dressing – no heavy dressing needed to result in a creamy potato salad. Just a little bit of mayo, some dijon mustard, shallot, dash of red pepper flakes for a kick, apple cider vinegar, and parsley. Resulting in a lusciously creamy dressing that you can feel good about!
It’s all mixed together with crunchy celery and red bell pepper, the perfect balance with the creamy potatoes and cauliflower – it’s a match made in 3-day weekend heaven! I’m loving the balance of it all.
How are you spending this Memorial Day Weekend? And more importantly, what will you be eating?! Take a photo, tag and #FORKINTHEKITCHEN on Instagram or Facebook – I love to see what you’re making!Print
A potato salad you can feel good about – half potatoes, half cauliflower mixed with a light tangy dressing, celery, and red bell pepper!
- 3 cups potatoes, 1/2 inch dice (approx. 2 medium yukon gold)
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, thinly diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- Chives and/or parsley for garnish
- Place diced potatoes into a large sauce pan, fill 2/3 with water, a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, continue to boil for 2-3 additional minutes. Add in cauliflower and boil for another 4-5 minutes until a fork is just able to pierce through. Do not overcook, or the cauliflower will be mushy, and no one wants that!
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water (or place in an ice bath).
- Meanwhile, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, shallot, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and parsley. Add celery and red bell pepper. Mix in potatoes and cauliflower; stir until all is coated. Garnish with chives and/or parsley.