Homemade Cheese Ravioli – fresh pasta filled with a mixture of ricotta and parmesan cheese, mixed with fresh basil, lemon zest, and nutmeg for just the right amount of flavor.
- 1 batch Fresh Pasta Dough
- 1 cup ricotta (I use whole milk)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Mix together ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest, basil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Make fresh pasta as directed in previous recipe. Roll out dough into two long rectangles.
- Begin to boil a large stockpot full of well salted water.
- Using a small scoop, place a ball of filling on one half of the dough, approximately 1 inch apart.
- Fold the top half of the dough over the filling and press down around the filling to seal the dough together. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut between each filling to create the individual ravioli pockets.
- Place on a floured plate until ready to boil. Continue with remaining dough.
- Boil the ravioli pockets in batches, do not overcrowd the pan. Pasta will take approximately 3-4 minutes, depending on the size. They will float when ready. Remove from water and place into sauce.
To freeze ravioli: lay out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in freezer until completely frozen. Transfer ravioli into a freezer bag. When ready to use, boil as directed above. Note: these aren’t as good frozen, but will do in a pinch 🙂
Keywords: vegetarian, comfort, pasta