Sauce lovers rejoice – we have Homemade Ponzu Sauce!
Tangy, citrusy, sweet, salty, slightly bitter, zesty, and fresh – this sauce is a versatile way to add a punch of soy-sauce-like flavor to a variety of dishes!
Use it as a marinade, a finisher to stir-fry dishes, salad dressing, homemade burgers, and my favorite way – a dipping sauce for POTSTICKERS!
The sauce gets its rich flavor as the ingredients meld together overnight, the light, fresh tanginess from all the citrus is its signature flavor.
How To Make Ponzu Sauce
- Toast the kombu and bonito flakes…
- Stir together all the ingredients: kombu, bonito flakes, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lime, lemon, mirin, and orange juice…
- Let the flavors meld together overnight…
- Strain out the pieces and store in an airtight container for several weeks – if it lasts that long!
Let’s talk about these unique ingredients for a second, shall we? Bonito Flakes and Kombu (seaweed) add the briny umami flavor. If you absolutely don’t want to purchase these specific ingredients, you could leave them out, but I highly recommend using them! I was able to find both in the Asian food section of my local Whole Foods.
They are absolutely what makes the unique ponzu flavor (aside from the citrus, of course).
Report back: what are your favorite ways to use Homemade Ponzu Sauce?!
Looking for ideas on how to use Homemade Ponzu Sauce? Check out these recipes:
Homemade Ponzu Sauce
- In a small saucepan, toast kombu and bonito flakes for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.In a small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, orange juice, lemon zest and juice, lime zest and juice, garlic, and ginger. Add kombu and bonito flakes. Mix together, cover, and let sit in the fridge overnight.Pour through a mesh sieve to remove chunks of ginger, garlic, etc. Store the remaining liquid, ponzu sauce, in an airtight container in the fridge for several weeks.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links, which means if you purchase a product through a link, FITK will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your continued support!