Honey Skillet Cornbread – sweet honey, chewy, moist bites, slightly caramelized edges, and a honey-butter drizzle – this cornbread is a staple for every fall meal!
Hellllooooooo football season!
Have y’all been watching ALL the football lately? I’m honestly not a crazy football fan per-se, but my family on the other hand, is full of huge football fans, so by proxy and my love of the “football ambiance”, I’m surrounded by a ton of football during the fall months. All. Weekend. Long.
Really, football to me means a sweatshirt and leggings (all day every day, amiright?), comfort food, and a drink in hand —> see: “football ambiance”. I can get on board with that anytime. Especially when the comfort food of the day is chili and Honey Skillet Cornbread. There’s not a better combination out there for Sunday football – or any cool and cozy fall day.
Honey Skillet Cornbread isn’t just a compliment to chili, either.
Our Labor Day BBQ was full of spicy ribs, soulful mac-and-cheese, and this cornbread. It was a match made in heaven — the sweetness of the cornbread is superb with a spicy dish. Whether it’s ribs, chili, or soup – it’s perfect antidote to spice.
Cornbread has always been a staple at meals like this – and my family recipes have evolved through the years. We used to use a good ol’ pouch of Betty Crocker’s cornbread with lotsa honey and butter on top – but as all things grow, so do our tastes for cornbread. Homemade with real ingredients is the. way. to. go. Sorry, Betty, but not this time.
So really, Honey Skillet Cornbread is everything– caramelized edges, sweet corn bits throughout, and the hint of honey laced throughout each moist, slightly chewy cornbread bite is just perfection. Let’s not forget the extra honey and butter drizzled on top… insert googley eyes here.
To get the slightly caramelized edges on the corn bread, you must use a cast iron skillet. It’s key! You’ll have to pre-heat the skillet with your oven, with a bit of oil swirled around the skillet. The freshly mixed batter is poured into the hot oil-lined skillet, instantly creating the perfect edges on your cornbread.
You’d be silly not to top off a warm slice of this cornbread with Whipped Honey Butter, too. It’s the cherry on top, the whipped cream to my cocoa, the sprinkles on the cake – the only thing that can take this corn bread over the top, to the moon, to another planet of YUM!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy cornbread?!Print
A moist, hearty cornbread with extra honey, butter, and corn kernels!
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, room temperature (or microwaved 20-30 seconds)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pour vegetable oil in cast iron skillet. Place in oven and pre-heat to 400°F.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix and let sit for a minute. Stir in baking soda and set aside.
- Stir together flour, corn meal, and salt.
- Melt butter and shortening together; microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between until melted.
- Beat together egg, honey, melted butter, shortening, and milk mixture in a large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet, add corn kernels, and mix until just combined.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and pour batter in, being sure to spread evenly quickly, as the edge of the cornbread will begin to form.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes until edges are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt together butter and honey for drizzle. Drizzle evenly on top of cornbread. Slice and serve with whipped honey butter.