A light quiche with a creamy egg base, kale, shallots, and a tangy herb garlic goat cheese topping!
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 5 Tablespoons ice water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 shallot bulbs, thinly sliced (~1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups green kale, chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan, freshly shredded
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces herb garlic goat cheese
- Pie crust: Sift together flour and salt. Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender or hands until small pea-sized crumbles form (you can also use a food processor ). Slowly pour in ice water until dough just comes together. Do not overwork the dough. Form dough into a round disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Once dough is chilled, place disk on lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to a 10-11 inch circle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place dough in a 9-inch pie pan. Trim edges and crimp if desired. Using a fork, pierce the bottom of the pie crust. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are slightly golden brown. Remove and set on wire rack to cool while you prepare the quiche.
- Quiche: Begin by melting 2 Tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 6-8 minutes until golden and tender. Add garlic and red pepper flakes (if using) continue cooking for 1 minute. Add kale, cook for 2 minutes until slightly wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together parmesan cheese, half-and-half, eggs, and a light dash of salt and pepper.
- Layer kale and shallot mix in the par-baked pie crust. Pour egg mixture on top. Pinch off chunks of goat cheese and dollop on top of the quiche. Bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown and quiche is set. Let cool for 20-25 minutes to set, serve warm or room temperature.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking