This creamy Fresh Lemon and Herb Tahini Sauce is easy to make and ready in 5 minutes! Serve it with fresh veggies and pita bread, or slather it on a sandwich or in a salad. There are so many ways to love this vegan sauce!
Hello, hi, let’s get straight to it because I know you need this quick and easy tahini sauce recipe in your life. With fresh herbs growing like crazy in the garden, there’s no end to the easy homemade sauces we can make, and while avocado herb sauce and basil pesto are in the weekly rotation, there’s a new kid in town too.
There’s nothing quite like a tahini and herb sauce, where the tahini provides a luxurious creaminess to the sauce and a hint of nuttiness from the sesame seeds. It’s savory, earthy, fresh, and oh so good.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
As any summer recipe should be, this one has simple, fresh ingredients. Ingredients that you likely already have and/or can go pick out in your herb garden (if you have one of those). Or grab fresh herbs at the Farmer’s Market. Or pester your friend who has that luscious garden. Or pick up a fresh bunch at the grocery store, because they’re in season! Here’s what you’ll need to make this sauce:
- Tahini – a Middle Eastern condiment that is made from toasted, ground sesame seeds. It can be enjoyed by itself and is often times found in hummus, baba ghanoush, and halva. It’s creamy, nutty, and earthy.
- Olive Oil – just a little for extra creaminess!
- Garlic – no doubt.
- Parsley – fresh parsley is earthy, bright, and pairs beautifully with lemon.
- Chives – add a slight onion flavor to the dip, without the pungency of actual onions!
- Cilantro – it’s bright, slightly citrusy, and adds a unique herb twist to this sauce.
- Lemon – as I always, I highly recommend using fresh lemon for the best flavor! This recipe also uses lemon zest for more flavor.
How to Make Lemon and Herb Sauce
While this is an easy that comes together quickly in a food processor, there is a trick to note, so read on!
Start by pulsing together garlic, lemon zest and juice, and all of the herbs (photos 1-2). Once they are roughly chopped together, it’s time to add the tahini and olive oil (photo 3). Pulse until mixed; the tahini will get thick and gloopy-ish, seizing up as it’s pulsed in the food processor (photo 4). Never fear!
To loosen the tahini back up, add cold water into the sauce until fully combined (photo 5).
It is such a fun transition to watch as the tahini loosens up and turns into a smooth creamy sauce! Once you’ve combined the sauce and its texture is just right, be sure to taste test and adjust accordingly.
Ways to Use Tahini Sauce
There are so many ways to use this sauce, and once you try it, you’ll be ready to dip and spread it on everything (ok, almost everything). Tahini sauce generally pairs well with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean flavors.
It’s a delicious sauce to use with main dishes or as a dip. Tahini sauce goes great with these (and more!):
- Pita chips, flatbread, or socca
- Fresh or roasted vegetables
- As a salad dressing (you can thin it out more with water or oil as needed)
- Middle Eastern Quinoa Salad
- On a super greens sandwich!
Fresh Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley tightly packed
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- 1/4 cilantro changed from 2T
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest approx. 1 large lemon
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP cold water
- In the bowl of a mini food processor, add garlic, parsley, chives, cilantro, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add olive oil and tahini; pulse until combined. The tahini will seize up at this point.
- Add the cold water to the sauce and mix until combined, with the cold water the tahini will loosen and the sauce will become smooth and creamy. If you'd like a thinner sauce, add more water. Taste and adjust salt levels as needed.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of savory homemade sauce recipes. Check it out!