That’s right everrrybody – Lemon Lavender Scones! Lemon! And Lavender! IN SCONES! Are you ready for this refreshing, elegant combination? If not, you better get ready, and fast.
I have a sneaky feeling these are going to be your go-to brunch recipe for every summer weekend from here-on-out. You’re going to find excuses to have brunch, because Lemon Lavender Scones must make their weekly appearance.
The light, soft texture – not too dry like some scones can be – with a bright punch of lemon and warm, fragrant lavender paired together, is dynamite. Top them off with a drizzle of icing because OF COURSE there has to be a drizzle of icing. I mean, I guess you could leave it off… but really, why, oh why would you?
Speaking of brunches… I swear every friend I’ve ever had is getting – or has already gotten – married this year. It’s like 2018 is the year of the weddings. Or maybe it’s just that 2018 happens to be the year where I’m the age that everyone seems to get married. High school acquaintances have been getting married for some time now, but I mean, my super close and long-time friends are getting married this year. My gal pals, my brunch buddies, they’re all gettin’ hitched!
Which means brunches that are actually bridal showers. Pretty soon it will be brunches that are actually baby showers. I better not get ahead of myself. What’s a single girl to do with all this love and marriage around?! Bring Lemon Lavender Scones to each and every occasion, that’s what!
One bite and then entire room is gonna be feeling the love, the love for scones. And you, maker of the scones.
Until now, lavender was purely a help-me-calm-the-heck-down thing. The essential oil I’d diffuse after a long day when I needed some relaxation, the one I’d drop in my bubble bath, the one I’d slather on my wrists when I couldn’t sleep.
But you guys. It’s so lovely in scones! I’m sure it’s lovely in so many other baked goods, we’ll get there, but if you haven’t tried baking with lavender before, Lemon Lavender Scones are the perfect place to start. Like I said, it’s lightly floral and adds such a unique, comforting flavor to the scones, without being overpowering.
Where does one actually get lavender you may ask. Amazon, of course. I went ahead and bought this lavender – can’t argue with high quality, organic lavender straight from the fields of France (not sponsored, but it is an affiliate link). I’ve also seen lavender in the bulk spice section at my local Whole Foods – so check out your grocery store, you could be surprised!
Now go, my sweet dear foodie friends, and impress those couples in love with some elegant Lemon Lavender Scones. I’d also love to hear if you’ve baked (or cooked!) with lavender before – leave me a comment and give me your favorite lavender recipe I should try next!Print
Warm and fragrant lavender is lightly infused throughout the scones, with a burst of lemon – topped with a drizzle of sweet icing for the perfect addition! Excellent for an elegant brunch.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest (~3 lemons)
- 3/4 cup milk + more for brushing
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lavender flowers
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest, rubbing between clean fingers until a coarse sand-like mixture forms (this helps infuse the lemon flavor!).
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Set aside. This will form almost a “buttermilk” like consistency.
- In a large bowl, or food processor, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lavender. Add your lemon sugar mixture, stir to combine. Cut in butter until a pea-sized mixture forms. Gently stir in milk mixture with a wooden spoon until combined (do not over mix).
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently until formed together (again – do not over knead). Form into an 8 x 5 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle down the middle, lengthwise, and then cut the other side (short side) into thirds (you will have 6 squares). Cut each square in half to form two triangles. This will result in 12 small triangles.
- Place scones on the baking sheet with plenty of space in between. Brush evenly with a bit of additional milk. Bake for 19-22 minutes until bottoms are golden brown and tops are slightly golden. Remove and let cool.
- If frosting, stir together powdered sugar, milk, and lemon zest until combined. Drizzle on cooled scones.
Make sure the butter is cold! I usually cube it before I start the other ingredients, and then place it in the fridge until ready to incorporate.
You can use a food processor, just be sure to not over mix. I do think the food processor tends to chop the lavender up more – so I like to add extra if I’m making the scones this way.
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, scones, lemon, lavender, baking, bake, summer, spring, shower
Fork in the Kitchen is part of the Amazon Affiliate Program. This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.