Whoa, whoa, whoa, this weekend was made for Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Vanilla Bean Icing. Or Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Vanilla Bean Icing was made for this weekend…?
Either way, Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Vanilla Bean Icing (yes, I just had to say it three times to let it sink in) is THE go-to spring recipe.
Whether you’re celebrating Easter this weekend, have a brunch, or just enjoying the extra daylight we’re getting, lemon bread is going to perk your mornings right up.
I have always had a love affair with moist, tangy lemon bread. As a teen, I spent about 97% of my time outside of school (and my nanny job and dance) at Caribou Coffee. Are you familiar? Caribou is the Starbucks of the midwest. Arguably, it’s way better, but then again I’m a sucker for anything Minnesotan.
Back to the origins of the bread… there is a point to my whole Caribou story. Because it is where my love of lemon bread and coffee started. Back when calories weren’t a thing, I’d often order a gigantic slice of their moist lemon poppy seed bread with its thick layer of icing on top. Then, I’d get my white chocolate mocha, overflowing with whipped cream, and be in sixteen-year-old-heaven.
Nowadays, I still enjoy a slice of moist lemon bread, but it’s THIS one – homemade with 100% known ingredients – and I
devour gracefully eat it it with a french press coffee, because: adulting.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a classic, favorite lemon bread recipe without a little icing on top. Clearly I’m going through a vanilla bean phase right now (but is it a phase if you never expect it to end?). The icing atop our lemon bread is light, tangy, and slightly sweet, just the right amount to balance out the tanginess of the bread.
As I mentioned last time we met, my sweet tooth is shrinking, so this bread and icing combo isn’t overly sweet, as some can be. I’d say its yin to yang ratio is spot on 😉
I’d love to hear how you plan to enjoy this decadent Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Vanilla Bean Icing this weekend! Leave a comment below, and remember to tag me in your photos – I love to see what you’re making!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon juice approx. 2 large lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract optional
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean scraped (or 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste)
- 2 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper (the size I've used is 8.5x4.5 inches - you can use a slightly bigger one too, it just may not be as "tall").
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Add lemon zest and sugar in a mixing bowl, rubbing the mixture between your fingers until a coarse sand-like mix forms. Using an electric hand mixer, cream in room temperature butter. Add lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon extract until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the wet (vegetable oil and sour cream). Starting and ending with the dry ingredients (I do 3 dry additions, and 2 wet).
- Bake for 52-55 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you use a different size pan, cooking time may vary slightly, so be sure to check it close to the end. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Icing: Using an electric mixer, combine lemon juice, vanilla bean, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth. Once loaf is completely cooled, spread on top.
This post contains an Amazon Affiliate Link, which means if you purchase a product through the link, FITK receives a small commission at no cost to you. Thanks for your continued support!