A light, moist lemon poppy seed bread coated with a slightly sweet vanilla bean icing! Perfect for spring brunch or a coffee break!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (approx. 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper (the size I’ve used is 8.5×4.5 inches – you can use a slightly bigger one too, it just may not be as “tall”).
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Add lemon zest and sugar in a mixing bowl, rubbing the mixture between your fingers until a coarse sand-like mix forms. Using an electric hand mixer, cream in room temperature butter. Add lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon extract until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the wet (vegetable oil and sour cream). Starting and ending with the dry ingredients (I do 3 dry additions, and 2 wet).
- Bake for 52-55 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you use a different size pan, cooking time may vary slightly, so be sure to check it close to the end. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Icing: Using an electric mixer, combine lemon juice, vanilla bean, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth. Once loaf is completely cooled, spread on top.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking