Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Almond Icing – moist muffins with light lemon flavor, bursting with poppy seeds, and drizzled with a sweet almond icing! They will brighten up your breakfast!
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced (~2 T zest, 1/3 c. juice)
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a 12 regular sized muffin pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well between each addition. Mix in vanilla and almond extracts, lemon zest, lemon juice, and greek yogurt.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients just until mixed. Stir in poppy seeds until combined.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3rds full. Bake for 15-17 minutes; muffin will bounce back when lightly touched.
- Let muffins cool slightly.
- To make icing, stir together powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk. If icing is too thin, add more sugar; if it is too thick, add more milk. Drizzle over muffins.
- Category: Breakfast