It’s the freakin’ weekend! And I cannot wait to ring it in with these Loaded Greek Sweet Potato Fries.
This week was kind of weird. I mean, it started with the completely embarrassing Vikings game. Then we had a blizzard Monday, getting stuck in downtown Minneapolis intersections, a snow day Tuesday, and the rest is just a blur. Nonetheless, here we are, with Loaded Greek Sweet Potato Fries.
I love Greek food. Easy Veggie Greek Pitas are one of my favorite lunches, inspired by a neighborhood Greek restaurant in Baltimore. It’s been a while since I lived there, and since moving away I’ve constantly been on the hunt for my next favorite Greek food fix.
Last year I found it. There’s an amazing Mediterranean street food joint in Northeast Minneapolis – Spitz – that I’m obsessed with. Their falafel pita rocks my socks, but it’s really the street car fries where it all begins and ends.
We’re talking a bed of crispy fries – regular or sweet potato or even waffle – and all the best greek toppings. My favorite bed of fries is sweet potato, because sweet potato fries are bomb. If you don’t feel the same, go ahead and mix up this recipe with your favorite kind. Or sometimes when I’m feeling adventurous, I get the regular-sweet blend. Life on the edge, y’all!
Then there’s THE SAUCE. The sauce is always the best, isn’t it? I wanted to lighten up these fries (oxymoronic, maybe?) so I use a yogurt based tzatziki sauce. It’s full of fresh garlic, herbalicious oregano, and tangy lemon. It’s the sauce that holds it all together, like the cheese to the mac, the cheese to the baguette…
Cheese on the brain! Which is why these fries are loaded with feta, too. Tangy, salty feta. Mixed in there is also some tomatoes, banana peppers, kalamata olives, red onions, cucumbers, and green onions. There is a load of flavor atop these fries – aha, hence the term “loaded” fries, eh? I honestly cannot get enough of them.
Bonus is that each and every bite can be customized to WHATEVER YOU WANT! More tzatziki, dip it! More banana peppers, grab ’em! Hate red onions? Leave them off!
I mean… you cannot argue with this recipes ability to customize to your EXACT needs. Your exact Greek flavor cravings. I say this is exactly what the weekend needs, what do you think?
Loaded Greek Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 bag, 15-20oz sweet potato fries
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 to mato, diced and seeded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup banana pepper slices
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup diced cucumbers
- Additional dried oregano or fresh parsley for topping
- Bake sweet potato fries according to package directions (or make your own!).
- Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, salt, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Adjust salt according to taste and set aside.
- When fries are cooked and crispy, layer on a platter or toss together with tomato, green onion, banana peppers, olives, red onion, feta, and cucumbers. Drizzle tzatziki sauce and garnish with oregano or parsley as desired.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.