Here we are: mid-August when the air is thick, hot, the late summer sun is heavy. And the anticipation of “back to school” plagues us. Well, those of us that are moms (or dads!), or teachers, or students, ourselves.
The only anticipation I’m having right about now is for the next time I get to eat a bowl of this super easy Mediterranean Pasta Salad (in, approximately, two minutes).
It’s my hope that pasta salad somehow has the magic ability to keep summer her a little longer, keep our cookout game strong, and keep easy pool-break lunches happening. It can do that, right? Right?
At least for a little while. If you love recipes that check these boxes, you’ll absolutely have it on repeat for the rest of the summer:
- Vegetarian, made vegan by leaving out the feta
- Ready in 10 minutes!
- Made with real ingredients
- Homemade dressing (again, real ingredients!)
- Totally versatile – lunch, potlucks, side dish… endless possibilities
Mediterranean Pasta Salad Ingredients
What are the real ingredients? Only the best mix of brightness, brininess, and freshness you can find! Here’s what we’ve got:
- mini bow tie pasta – or orzo!
- red bell pepper
- banana peppers
- shallot (or red onion for more of a punch)
- feta cheese
- fresh parsley
- niçoise olives
- garlic (always garlic)
And the texture! Oh you know there’s nothing worse than a boring salad, and this is NOT that, my friends. We’ve got crunch! And shapes, and sizes, oh me, oh my.
The dressing is also super easy too – add some key players like lemon juice and herbs to a jar and SHAKE. Shake away. If you just shake with a lid, no bowl and whisk, and all that fanciness, you will reduce your dishes. Miracles, I tell you.
So what are you waiting for? Get yourself a reason to make some Mediterranean Pasta Salad (yes, an excellent reason is that it’s a Tuesday and you need to eat) and ENJOY!
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- 2 TBSP lemon juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- ~1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper more to taste
- ~1/2 tsp fine sea salt or to taste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 12 oz. dried mini farfalle or orzo
- 1 medium cucumber diced small
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 1/3 cup jarred banana peppers chopped
- 1 medium shallot bulb finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup niçoise olives*
- In a jar with a lid (or a bowl) combine lemon juice, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Shake to combine, or whisk together if using a bowl. Taste test and adjust salt/pepper as needed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta as directed on the package, making sure they are al dente when done. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare the veggies and toss together in a bowl. Once pasta is rinsed and cool, toss it with the other ingredients and the dressing. Serve immediately or place in the fridge to cool and serve as a cold pasta salad.