A “healthier” version of your favorite childhood snack – using honey instead of corn syrup! The irresistible topping doesn’t change a bit: milk chocolate swirls with butterscotch for the perfect topping on the peanut butter bars!
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 11 oz. butterscotch chips (~ 1 3/4 cups)
- 11 oz. milk chocolate chips (~1 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Optional: salt flakes
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt together the honey and sugar, whisking frequently for approximately 3-4 minutes. Add peanut butter and melt until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract, if using.
- Add in Rice Krispies and stir in until completely coated.
- Spread evenly in a 9×13 pan; let cool completely. You can place in the fridge or let cool at room temperature.
- Using a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips with oil. Spread melted chocolate on cooled Krispie treats. Sprinkle with salt flakes if desired.
- Let topping cool completely so it hardens before cutting and serving. To speed up the process, you can place in the freezer, but I would let them come to room temperature again before serving for an easier bite.
Vanilla Extract: Sometimes I use vanilla extract, other times I don’t. I don’t think it makes a huge difference, which is why I’m leaving that up to your tastebuds.
Microwaving chocolate: If you’re microwaving the chips, use 30-second intervals and stir in between to ensure chips don’t burn.
Oil: Using oil in the chocolate topping helps to smooth out the melted chips and keeps the chocolate shiny and easy to eat when chilled. It can be made without if you really prefer, but I do recommend using it!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy, party, kid friendly, potluck, bbq, bar