A mix between shortbread and sugar cookie, these slightly crisp yet soft cookies are coated with pistachios; a perfect melt-in-your-mouth combination!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 unbeaten egg yolk (save the egg white)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, divided, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar – for coating
- Using either a hand or standing mixer, combine butter and sugar. Add the egg yolk, heavy cream, and vanilla. Beat well. Add flour, 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, baking powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Place dough on a large piece of plastic wrap, and lightly flour hands. Shape dough into a log, approximately 12 inches long. Wrap the log of dough in the plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 400°F. Combine 1/4 cup sugar with remaining 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios; set aside. Lightly beat the saved egg white and brush onto rolled dough all over. Place the dough log on a baking sheet and cover, then roll, in the sugar-nut mixture until coated. See photos as a guide. You may want to slightly press in the nuts if larger pieces are not sticking. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place slices on a cookie sheet (I always use parchment lined baking sheets). Leave space between each cookie. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until slightly golden brown along the edges. Let sit for 1-2 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
If your pistachios are salted, halve the amount of salt you put into the dough.
There will be a little leftover pistachio/sugar coating – you can either halve the amount if this concerns you, sprinkle the remainder on top of the cookies, or save it to top your oatmeal in the morning!
Keywords: cookie, easy, nut, butter cookie, shortbread